lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobbiest

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok guys so I just recieved my new light fixture, but it came with one pink bulb and one 12000k bulb and they say it is full spectrum for planted tanks. I have been reading and have heard that the pink bulb doesn't do anything for plants and the 12000k bulb is too high for freshwater plants. Should I buy two 6700k bulbs and just replace these?
My tank is about two ft. deep its a 65 gal and I have several different kinds of plants. Riccota indica I hope will turn red, amazon swords, Anubias nana, giant hairgrass and a ton of java ferns. I do not have co2 in tank I think that plays a factor in high lighting also and at this time I don't have the money to mess with that. I do use co2 boost though, if anyone can help I really appriciate it. thanks:)

I read that actinic bulbs do almost nothing for plants in the [articles to help with planted tanks] in this forum. The pink bulb is actinic.

Pink bulbs are rosette's not actinic bulbs. Does it say actinic on the bulb? Since it also has a 12K bulb I do wonder if those are bulbs for a SW reef. If they are I personally would replace them with. If you replace them you have many options. You could do a 10K or 8000K bulb with a pink rosette to balance out the higher blue light with red. Or you could do two 6500 or 6700K bulbs. I have a 55g tank that is about 18" deep with a 2 bulb T5HO fixture and I use a Geisemann 6000K Midday bulb and a Geisemann Aquaflora bulb. This gives me a good solid medium light. There is a par chart link on many posts on here that would help you determine what par you'll have which could help you a lot.

Thanks rivercats and no the pink bulb does not say what it is thats why I assumed it was actinic. I just don't want to have too much light because of algea and not having co2, so I was looking for advice before I ran into problems. Plus I want my rocotta indica to turn pink and need to know the right lighting. You said something about par I will try to figure it out. I still don't know my way around this forum that well. thanks again:)

If you use liquid carbon even with lower lighting it really does help plants a lot. In a larger tank you would just want to order and use Metricide 14 Day Solution.

Can you use mericide 14 with API CO2 Booster and Seachem Florish? I thought Mericide was if your fish were sick:confused:.
If I get a 8000k bulb with my pink bulb would it give me medium lighting? The roccota indica I planted a couple weeks ago looks like the entire older part of the plant is melting or dieing and the top newer growth is green and healthy I don't know if I should get rid of and try again or cut tops off and replant to get rid of unheathy parts.
I am sorry for all the questions it seems the more info I get the more questions I have, but thanks again for the help.

Metricide 14 Day Solution is a liquid carbon the same as API CO2 Booster so you would use it instead of the Booster. You can get a gallons bottle of Metricide 14 for around $27 shipped or even less if you shop around online. You mix it at a 1:1 ratio with RO or Distill water and get 2 gallons for $27 which is way cheaper than the name brand one your using.

Since the tank is deeper than mine you'll probably be on the low end of medium light. It would help if someone posted the link to the par value charts which I don't have.

The bottoms are probably dying due to lack of enough light and possibly nutrients. Cut the good growth off and replant it. See what your nitrate and phosphate levels are. The Flouish most likely isn't supplying enough nutrients.

And you want to be dosing the CO2 booster at 1ml per every 5 gallons and in about 2-3 weeks up it to 1ml per every 2 gallons of tank water. That will help plants a lot.

Back
Top Bottom