Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BMF4life13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 50gallon tank. I have Java fern, Java moss, and a banana plant. I am slow on the uptake and just found out that my floralmax T8 17 watt bulb. The tank is about 18inches deep by 18 wide by 36 long. What is the best lighting fixture. What is the best and cheapest one and why.

And just to check. what size of can filter should I be using?

I am not great with lighting but saw no one was answering so I thought I would at least tell you where I got my light at a great price and that was Catalina aquariums they are very helpful just e mail them what you are wanting to accomplish and they can help you with what light would be a. Good choice for your needs.
Good luck I am sure someone with more knowledge will reply to you before long.

Neon bulbs need to be changed every once in a while. So, if your fixture isn't doing it, I would go with an LED fixture and be done with it.

As for filter, I like to go oversize a bit. 50gal, I'd get a fluval 406.

The 'best' lighting fixture is completely dependent on what you want to do to your tank.

I use the fluval 306 canister AND the fluval aquaclear 30 as a HOB filter on the opposite end. I don't like a strong current, and I like having access to the HOB media (purigen mostly) without having to open my canister as often.

I also have a tank similar to your size (60 gallon) and I wanted decent lighting but for the cheap price. Most of these guys will tell you go to for the LED's. Satellite, or finnex are 2 names that are atop of their class as far as plant growth goes... they are energy efficient and you never have to change our their bulbs or anything. Those bad boys should last you a lifetime.

But I went a cheaper route. T5HO (high output) lights. If you look online, you can find some of them that are pretty pricy as well. At their price, you might as well pay the $40 difference to get LED.

But I went to home depot.... $30 for t5ho. Get some bulbs and I was set.

I took it a bit further and built a box for the light fixture and got HVAC reflective tape and lined it inside so I can maximize the lighting that is going toward my plants. $50 for t5ho if you do some work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here you can see the box I built... the light fixture inside the box and then the reflective tape inside.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1430937538597.jpg
    1430937538597.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 1430937567994.jpg
    1430937567994.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 1430937587072.jpg
    1430937587072.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 45
Back