Lilly pads or lotus for aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 36g bowfront with so to be high lighting and I dose 7 ml of metricide every day and 5ml of flourish supplements on every Wednesday. I want a floating plant, something that's unusual and that dosen't grow like frog bit

Tiger lotuses are beautiful red spotted plant that will flower once you allow the lease to reach the surface. it will also get very big and shade out the other plants. I haven't had one myself yet but I keep kicking around the idea.

You can also use plants such as water sprite, balanese crypt, and even jungle val. Water sprite can be left to grow thick at the water surface and even left to grow out the tank into the air if you have no hood. With the balanese crypt and jungle val they grow very long leaves that float on the surface which give a nice effect both in the tank and on the surface.

Lotus, lilies, and banana plants can be used if you don't mind all the stems. The above plants look good both in and on the surface of a tank.

The stems don't bother me at all, that's why I wanted them because most of my plants can grow very thick and in a bunch. Plus the blooms on Lilies and such are beautiful.

I have read about the tiger lotus, but I want something more green has I have a couple of red plants already.

In the other hand, I really like jungle Val and it was one I had debated as a background plant. Though I have amazon swords that will cover that here in a couple of months hopefully

Hey rivercats! I've always passed on jungle all because I was under the impression glut will melt it?? Is this false??theyre great looking plants!

Yes glut can melt some Vals, which is why I like using Crypt Balanese and some of the thin leaf Aponogetons.

Back
Top Bottom