lionfish+clownfish=semi tramatic event

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianbword

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Soooo yesterday I was shopping around for a new fish for my tank. Stopped into a reputable fish and coral store and was looking for something intresting but not to exspensive. I spot a few id like but out of my price range for right now and see a small lionfish the body is about 5 inches.. I asked the guy if he would be okay with the fish i currently have. A maroon clownfish and scooter blenny and he said they should be okay considering their sizes. The clownfish was about 1" width and 1"tall. The lionfish seemed to be leaving everyone alone up until now when i got home. Coincidentally I was bringing my gfs daughter home and after giving her a big speech about not putting her hands in the tank. As fate would have it she comes home from her grandfathers house with a carnival goldfish she won thinking it could live in the my saltwater tank. And after explaining we couldnt because of the salt and the fact that the lionfish might eat him cus hes so small this happens. Shes checking him out for the first time and I notice him kinda hovering almost upside down over the clownfish and I walked away for literally a second and I hear these words "OMG HE ATE NEMO!!!". Id say its kinda traumatic for a 6 year old to witness:eating:. Luckily I distracted her with situating her goldfish and thats that.

Anyways Im tring to figure out something. Ive read that lionfish will only eat things that they can fit in thier mouth. Well ezactly how big is it or whats a safe size when it comes to picking out fish where they wont be devoured? Im guessing there isnt a big enuff clownfish in this world that would be safe from a LF is there? Not that im hooked on em but Im just trin to make the kid happy but she understands if theres no way they would get along.

As I'm sure you noticed, the lion has a big mouth when it's opened wide. Anything that fits in it is fair game....food wise.

Which will be another bridge you'll cross. Bigger species of fish will cost you a premium which you might now have to pay due to the lion.

I agree, a lion can "attempt" to swallow anything it deems "small" enough to try to get in it's mouth.
You can look at some smaller fish that have certain defense mechanisms, such at a forktail blenny (with a venomous bite) which when swallowed will bite the inside of the lion's mouth, causing it to spit him out....but...there are still no guarantees....
I imagine the scooter might be the next meal....

yeah im gonna sit on this guy for a while before i invest in anything bigger and more $. But hes quite intresting to watching like when hes just kinda floating upside down. Scooters still here been almost a week now but who knows with that beast.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the lion is going to get real big eventually. While he may not be able to fit a tank mate in his mouth now... it may only be a matter of time.

You should start looking at fish that get quite large.

Back
Top Bottom