Lionfish Identification and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyFBCoach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just went to the LFS and they had a dwarf lionfish. It was red, perhaps on the rusty side, with blue lines on the inside of the pectoral fins. It doesn't look like any of the other lions on liveaquaria etc... They are selling it as a Blue Fin Dwarf Lionfish. It is the most amazing fish I have seen and haven't seen one like it in the 6months I have been visiting the LFS.

I am thinking of adding it to my tank. I currently have a 3" lonhhorn cowfish, 7 med/lg chromis, 4" foxface. Each fish is larger than the lion can consume. I hope to add two black and white clowns and a coral beauty in the future to finish off my capacity.

Feeding and care concerns? I am new to the hobby.

I run a sump with protein skimmer and have a little live rock and a large amount of none live rock and intend on buying more as I can. Crushed coral is my substrate.

This is a predator. Do you want that in your tank? The present fish may or may not be in immediate danger, but as the lionfish grows, anything new certainly is a potential menu item...and don't be fooled...Their mouths are bigger than their stomachs. Even as small as they are (adults ranging about 4" to 6"), they can take down some amazing sized fish. You also might have to deal with live food if the lion refuses frozen food which would also mean much more waste in the system. You should upgrade your bio if you do get the lion.

The chromis definitely would be food. I do not see what size tank you have but you already list a pretty decent load so I am hoping it is a bigger tank. You list 4 possible new additions of which, 2 will be food for the lion as well.

Lions love their space. Make sure the fish would still be comfortable in your tank with all of those other fish. He will want a cave or something similar to hide in which can take up extra space in your tank. He could also put stress on the other fish being a predator, so they too will take up extra space just to stay clear of the lion. But, if you do decide to put a lion in a community take like this, a dwarf is your best choice. Hopefully fluff will come across your post. She has beautiful dwarfs in her tank, and defineatly knows alot about them! Congratulations on your new hobby, this site will be great use to you.

I "had" a lionfish until he tried to eat an adult sized blemy that was bigger than his mouth. He didn't make it and the blemy was a tad bit more aggressive after that.

Yes he actually lived. The other fish at the time included a puffer and trigger so they didn't have problems steering clear.

Depending on the Lionfish please be carefull cleaning. I actually got needled on my cleaning tube twice. Scared the living crap out of me since I wasn't expecting it.

What I think I am going to do is slow down a bit. The lionfish would be a great addition, but may not be exactly what I want.

I also worry about my tank capacity being a 75 gallon tank. But I want to get a fish that is a the main attraction. While I have looked at larger angles, they don't fit in my tank. So that leaves me still searching. ANy ideas would be appreciated.

If this is a Blue fin Lion they are cooler water lions with a very poor survival rate. A main reason for the poor survival rate even if placed in a cooler tank is shipping, they have already been placed in warmer water for the past few weeks......

IMO - I would avoid buying this fish because it will die on you.... they do not last long in warmer water, this fish comes from around 68-70 degree water and I can bet it was not kept or is not in that temp. right now......

I think you have the right idea on slowing down a bit right now. Every decision is an important one, and there is no hurry in this hobby. We all get excited and want our perfect tank right away, but when you do without analizing all the research, it gets costly in the end. I think we all have come across this sometime in our tank planning. :)

Thats a great point about the water being too warm for the lionfish...thank you.

I told myself that I was slowing down to make a list and think about how I want to add the fish. I keep reading that nothing happens fast in this hobby, I am starting to understand it more and more.

Back
Top Bottom