lionhead attacking moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MummyDJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got up this morning to find my lionhead basically attached to my moor's flank, he was following so close. When moor stopped, my lionhead was trying to pin him and nipping around eyes and around anal fins.

It was so distressing to watch that I removed the moor and put him in my dinky tank (thankfully both fish are young so size of the tank isn't too bad at the mo).

I rechecked the parameters and everything is fine so that is not a cause.

I put a little dissolved salt water into the little tank to ease the moor's stress. I just don't know what to do!

Without knowing the cause, I don't know if it's safe to reintroduce tomorrow. What could it be?

Any suggestions what I can to find out why my lionhead became so much of a bully?

Hi! We need some more info to help. Tank size? Are the two fancies the only fish in the tank? If not, what else? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? How big are they and how long have you had them? Thanks!

Hi! We need some more info to help. Tank size? Are the two fancies the only fish in the tank? If not, what else? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? How big are they and how long have you had them? Thanks!

Of course. I've just been panicking a little and didn't think.

My lionhead is 1.5inches and my black moor is 1 inch. These are approximate and not including tail. (i did say they were young :) )

I've owned them for just over a week. They live in a 135L tank with 3 snails. Temperature is about 23C (74F).

Ammonia and Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30ppm
Ph: 7.2

Thanks! Nitrates are bit higher than I would like to see, especially with the moor, but nothing a water change wont help with. Usually, aggression in goldfish is caused by either too small of tank or breeding behaviors. Neither applies in your case because they have a nice sized tank and they are both juveniles. So, that leaves temperment. Goldfish, while generally considered social, happy fish, are no different than humans. Their temperments can run the spectrum from nice to nasty & mean. And it sounds like your little lionhead has a bit of an attitude problem. So, your going to need to take some time and do behavior therapy with him.

First, stick the moor back in the big tank and take the lionhead out and put him in the small tank. Leave him there for a day. Do you have a plastic pasta colander/strainer? After the lionheads 'time out', stick the colander in the top of the big tank and put him in this. Make sure you do this when you are able to watch him because he may attempt to jump out. After an hour or two (or however long it takes for him to settle down), scoop him out and release him back into the tank and continue to watch. The second he starts chasing or bullying, put him back in the colander. If you dont have time to watch him, put him in back in the small tank. Just continue to repeat the 'time outs' ANYTIME he displays aggressive behavior. It may only take a couple of days for him to learn this behavior is not allowed but it may take a few weeks or longer. Have some patience and good luck!

Jlk, thank you for that! It might be due to old inground stereotypes but I never thought about training them! That's really cool.

Unfortunately my colander is metal but I should be able to fashion something out of a tub.

I dont think you have dollar stores in the Uk, but I use a plastic laundry type basket that I got from the dollar store. Its about 1ft deep & 1ft around (plastic mesh). You need to use something with swimming room where he can see and smell the moor but can not go after him. Im sure you will come up with something! Or just get a plastic colander (metal may cut him). :)

We have pound shops. They should have something. Fish have now been swapped round so they can stay that way till tomorrow.

Goldfish are actually very smart, so if you do that he will figure out he doesn't like time out and he will stop. Good luck!

WOW! What a great tidbit of information! This idea has never occurred to me. Fish are fascinating and keeping them, although at times a challenge, a big adventure!

Its a silly myth that goldies have a 3 second memory! They are actually pretty smart! :)

I never believed that "3 second memory" due to the fact they come to get fed when they see me enter the room! lol I am neither a scientist nor a biologist but I can tell when a goldfish remembers who is gonna feed them, they didn't rush up to the top of the tank when my hubby came into the room, :D !!!

Back
Top Bottom