Liquid's Planted 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like it is clearing up. So much room in that tank (says the person with 20g tanks).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just a small update since its been a minute since I have posted anything.

Tank is cycling very quickly thanks to having lots of good media to get it jump started. The HOB filter helped alot. I have done weekly water changes (around 25-50% each) and my parameters have been very stable. With lots of pressure of my 5yr old daughter, I bought 5 neon tetra and 5 harlequin rasbora and slowly introduced them into the tank. Been keeping a firm eye on things, and so far so good.

1 thing to note: The KH reading has been very low and sometimes 0. I have hard water at my place so this is throwing me off. My other 2 tanks KH reads around 180 and my GH reads around 120 (API test strips)

So either the FlorinVolcanit substrate is doing it, or the driftwood is. None the less, this is my only major concern right now moving forward. I will not feel comfortable moving any of my other fish out of my 55gal and into this tank, until I can get those levels up to what they are used to in the other tank.

To my knowledge (and Im wrong all the time) its not a good thing to have fish that are used to a hard water, put into a softer water environment, due to them becoming dependent on the hard water nutrients. Can anyone confirm this?

? Love seeing this unfold!

And, sorry, I know nothing about nutrients. I can say from experience I went from soft water to liquid rock when I moved and it nearly destroyed my entire tank. Both the plants and fish did not fare well, even with ample acclimation. Melting and quite a few losses.

? Diana Lee ?
? the Redhead ?

Hi liquid did you stock this tank yet?

I sure did! Meant to post these pics sooner, but I have been soooooo busy with not only work, but these tanks!

I honestly spent most of this past weekend finally breaking down my 55 gallon, and moving up the fish I want in my 75. On top of that, I went to a planted tank class in Long Beach, CA put on by a LFS with a guest speaker from Dennerle. Not only was it very informative, but we were given in vitro plant cups for participating and answering questions. I got 5! They also gave us all cool gift bags with plant/scaping books, a towel, and shrimp food samples.

I spent most of the past few weeks slowly acclimating my babies from my 55gal, and scaping the 75. Brought up my c02 tank as well, and have that going strong. And since my long term goal has been to finally venture into keeping discus, I purchased my first one. (Found a shop that carries hard water bred Discus, which is a huge plus for me) All of my stock came from both my 55 and 38 gal. Looking forward to getting more discus after seeing how well this one does.

Current Stock : 1 Platinum Angle, 1 Blue Diamond Discus, 2 German Blue Rams, 1 Gold Ram, 1 Bosemani Rainbow, 1 Australian Red Rainbow, 5 Julie Cory, 4 Sterbai Cory, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, & 1 Candystripe Pleco.

Tank Shot
img_3372703_0_6341045787029ef6e17f36131adf9eee.jpg

Group Shot
img_3372703_1_70397430fe8c9ee4dc21a717272cd3b3.jpg

Nuggz and Stripe
img_3372703_2_a08132091f9c7fbeda9d79fcb552edc2.jpg

Princess Platinum & Sir Sapphire
img_3372703_3_a5c8f5d70dfb95a42c8b72d9f10e44f6.jpg

These 2 never separate!

Really looking forward to the plants to fill in with the c02. Only dosing Flourish right now, but will be looking into additional ferts. Anyone got suggestions? Dry ferts are a noobish subject for me, but what I was thinking I need.

That pretty cool regarding the plant meeting. I'm jealous. My local aquarium club seems to have been abandoned.

Nice fish! Are you thinking of getting more angels and rainbows?

Dry ferts are not that difficult really. I started dosing dry just recently.

Normally dry ferts go hand in hand with the Estimative index method.

This is a must read for EI and dry dosing ferts.

http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That tank shows real promise, LiQuiD, great work. I bet the plants will fill in nicely. What's the substrate? And that's a crackup about the discus following the angel: he's probably drawn by the similar body shape. :)

Color me envious about the class you got to go to -- I wish we had something like that on the Westside! Which store was it held at?

That pretty cool regarding the plant meeting. I'm jealous. My local aquarium club seems to have been abandoned.

Nice fish! Are you thinking of getting more angels and rainbows?

Dry ferts are not that difficult really. I started dosing dry just recently.

Normally dry ferts go hand in hand with the Estimative index method.

This is a must read for EI and dry dosing ferts.

The Estimative Index (EI) Dosing with Dry Salts | UK Aquatic Plant Society.

Thank you! Ill spend some time reading that soon. I have always been interested in EI dosing. Not sure about more rainbows or angels, but definitely more discus! A LFS owner told me that rainbows are not good with discus and that they bully them away from the food. Im also reading how picky discus can be about eating. Right now this is just an observation time to see how they get along.

Liquid, it's beautiful, even in the infant stages of plant growth I think it's lovely!

Thanks so much!

That tank shows real promise, LiQuiD, great work. I bet the plants will fill in nicely. What's the substrate? And that's a crackup about the discus following the angel: he's probably drawn by the similar body shape. :)

Color me envious about the class you got to go to -- I wish we had something like that on the Westside! Which store was it held at?

Appreciate you following the whole way Barliman. Im looking forward to getting more plants soon and getting into EI dosing. The substrate is Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit. I believe I uploaded a pic of the bag if you want to see it.

Im on the west side too! This is going to bum you out, but it was in Long Beach at Age of Aquariums! I found it on accident by their Facebook page, lol. Im in Newport Beach.

Very pretty fish. Sapphire is amazing.
Thank you, he definitly stood out amongst the others at the LFS. Looking for a nice reddish color one now.

Back
Top Bottom