List of cold water, low light plants for very small nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
Trying to find a list of plants that will grow with low light and coldwater (no heater, so a minimum 13 degrees in winter, and a warm 26 degrees in summer)
Tank specifics:
- 25cm cube (4.1 gallon)
- Hang on back filter
- 3.5w 6500k clip on light
- Substrate will most likley be fluval stratum, unless someone recommeneds something easier or better.

Plants to be easy for a begginer, multiple colours/textures would be nice.
I do have a heater, but dont want to use it. Want to see my options for cold water.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As far as I know the best cool water plants for an aquarium are lotus and anubias. That's a pretty far swing though, from winter to summer.
Curious why you just don't run a heater a little bit in the winter? I do not use a heater in my 90 gal throughout most of the year. But I do not let it go much under 70-72F...and I run one a little.

I have too many tanks. Electricity is killing my life lol
But Im so addicted to aquariums, I always want to try new things. Im on a budget with this tank idea. So im trying to see what my options are. I will google the 2 plants you mentioned. With Fareinheit, my temps are around 57 in winter, and 78 in summer. Australian tropical weather I guess.
Thank you for the response.

There are a lot of anubias. Anubias petite, coffeefolia,white, and stardust are my favorite for nanos. Some like barteri barteri get huge.

I would venture a guess that there are other tough skinned plants out there that would also do well. You might even try valisneria and some of the smaller cryptocorynes like c.lucens, c. parva, c.wendtii{green gecko}, c. lutea, and c. wilisii.

You have named plenty! Thank you so much I will google the ones you mentioned and see how I go. Thanks again.
I bought some wood for the nano tank.
I am currently boiling water and pouring in bucket over wood to treat it.

Dwarf sag will do fine in lower temps. I put some in a clay pot with soil and gravel last fall and placed it into small pond. It survived the winter (under ice for several days at a time) and sent up a flower last week.

Back
Top Bottom