Little Side Project Using Brightwell Aquatics Rio Escuro Ultra Fine Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BioChem

Aquarium Advice Regular
After some toiling, I decided to purchase Brightwell instead of ADA Aquasoil Powder, for a new setup (20 gal long).
I wasn't sure if the ultra fine was going to be compact enough to securely hold carpet plants. I must say, this size definitely works! Added bonus, no ammonia leeching... I only used one 15lb bag. From now on, this is definitely my go to substrate.

I've had this setup running for 2 months. Some green hair algae, but easily under control with metricide 14 and hydrogen peroxide. Carpeted with the dry start method.

Day 1
IMG_0268.jpg

Day 5
IMG_0275.JPG

Day 12
IMG_0287.jpg

Day 15
IMG_0294.jpg

2 months
IMG_0374.jpg

Nice testament to the effectiveness of this substrate. Perhaps this will be enough to wean me from EcoComplete and onto a new substrate for my next build.

Nice! Is that glosso grown from seeds? Really nice carpet!

Thank you! Yes, these are glosso seeds.

I really like these "instant carpets" with glosso seeds they seem to work really well. Try growing a full carpet in 12 days in a flooded tank! Considering doing something very similar with my 3G cube. Simple but stunning to look at ;)

Give it a try. You won't regret it!

I've heard (and seen) good stuff from this Brightwell substrate.
Your carpet is very smooth.
I did grow Glosso last year as a carpet. It grew too fast IMO. Since I was not regularly trimming it, grew over itself and then started to grow vertical. I ended up removing completely (although I have some growing in a terrarium).

I really like these "instant carpets" with glosso seeds they seem to work really well. Try growing a full carpet in 12 days in a flooded tank! Considering doing something very similar with my 3G cube. Simple but stunning to look at ;)

I hear you. Took forever to carpet my HC. Especially, when battling multiple algae types.

Go for it! Dry Start is definitely my go to method. It can be achieved with practically any carpeting plant. The completed carpet easily out competes algae from new tank syndrome. And its so much more aesthetically appealing! This time I tested with Glosso seeds. I wanted to make sure the roots were able to securely anchor the plant in this size substrate.

I am column dosing as well as CO2 injection (7.5 hrs) with high light (7.5 hrs). CO2 begins one hour prior to turning on the lights. Lights stay on for one hour after CO2 is shut off for the day. Can't complain. So far so good.

I've heard (and seen) good stuff from this Brightwell substrate.
Your carpet is very smooth.
I did grow Glosso last year as a carpet. It grew too fast IMO. Since I was not regularly trimming it, grew over itself and then started to grow vertical. I ended up removing completely (although I have some growing in a terrarium).

My glosso is also growing upwards. Its due to how densely I planted the seeds. In two weeks, it grew 2.5 inches up. Was a lot of trimming, but this excess growth does show me the substrate is plentiful in nutrients, and my co2, light and column dosing are on point. I'm very happy with this substrate.

My glosso is also growing upwards. Its due to how densely I planted the seeds. In two weeks, it grew 2.5 inches up. Was a lot of trimming, but this excess growth does show me the substrate is plentiful in nutrients, and my co2, light and column dosing are on point. I'm very happy with this substrate.

I'm realizing that almost all carpets require some type of maintenance. Ugh.
Yes, the Brightwell FlorinVolcanit Rio-something may be in my next build. I'm currently using the EcoComplete I got 5 years ago from PetSmart for $9 a bag (what a deal). The HC Cuba is not the fastest grower but that can be a good thing, maintenance wise.

I'm realizing that almost all carpets require some type of maintenance. Ugh.
Yes, the Brightwell FlorinVolcanit Rio-something may be in my next build. I'm currently using the EcoComplete I got 5 years ago from PetSmart for $9 a bag (what a deal). The HC Cuba is not the fastest grower but that can be a good thing, maintenance wise.

Good deal! I know Eco isn't cheap. Maintenance is the inevitable. HC is slow, may be a bit too slow for new tank syndrome. That was my experience. Maybe using established bio media, makes the difference...

Back
Top Bottom