Loach compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I am currently working towards setting up a large tank, transferring my fish from my 30gal and introducing new stock.

I have had botia striata for years (better choice for the 30gal), but about 6 months ago inherited a single large yoyo loach. Not ideal I know, but they seem ok. The yoyo chases my 2 remaining striata loach a bit, almost seems like play though- not 100%sure.

What I really want to do is get some clowns for the large tank (5ftx2ftx2ft), but am unsure what I should do with the other loach species.

Should I keep what I have currently and just add the clowns(probably 5 or 6), or get the clowns and also top up the other loach species too? I know ideally loaches should be kept in small groups, but does it matter if the species are mixed, but overall there are plenty of them?

Any help in this would be great. I'm taking my time with this, so this is all helpful with the planning.

Many thanks,
Dave.

Having groups of their own species seems to matter WAY more to loaches than corydoras. Yoyos can be a bit aggressive and really need a group of 5 or more to form a hierarchy and disperse the aggression.
Clowns are very rambunctious themselves, so they wouldn't (I don't think) be bothered by a bunch of loopy yoyos.
Trouble is the sheer SIZE that clowns grow to. With a few of each species the bottom of your tank is going to be crazy as. :blink:

Avoid the clowns unless you're willing to upgrade in a few years.

In addition be careful of the clowns out competing the other bottom feeders.

Thanks for the response. This was my concern.

I'd rather not fill the bottom of the tank with a load of loaches just for the sake of it.

I've always wanted to keep clowns (and have always refrained due to space), I'd have thought a 5ft tank would have been good enough.

It's crazy how many clowns the lfs sell considering that most people have no where near the correct tank and no intention of upgrading

It's crazy how many clowns the lfs sell considering that most people have no where near the correct tank and no intention of upgrading

Clown Loaches, Bala Sharks and Common Plecos sales should be restricted, it's just insane how many of these would get sold to ridiculously too small tanks.

Clown Loaches, Bala Sharks and Common Plecos sales should be restricted, it's just insane how many of these would get sold to ridiculously too small tanks.

I agree with you so much, the reason I started this hobby was because I had a 10 gallon tank with a common pleco in it, I learned real fast that he doesn't fit there haha. That's how I ended up with all these tanks, now the "little" guy has a nice 100 gal for him

Where I am you have to have a license to keep reptiles and amphibians. It would be good if the same applied to fish with special needs.

In my opinion, it's not the species that matters with loaches, it's the size and body shape. In my tank I have clowns, striata, angelicus, dojo and kuhli loaches. The striata and angelicus are usually together and when the clowns were their size they all stayed together. As the clowns grew they formed their own separate group. The dojo and kuhlis like to return to the same area together, but they're too wild to say that they care about each other haha. What I'm trying to get at is if you want to mix loaches, try to stay within the same size and body shape, which species you pick is up to you though. Clowns will be fine in your tank for years, they grow quickly to 5" or so, then its a crawl to reach their larger sizes.

Back
Top Bottom