Lookin for Input - 55 Gallon Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WillyStyle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all.
I have just completed cycling my second tank to begin a community tank. So far I have 3 juvenile angels and 3 corys. Anyway I was looking to see what else I should add. I'm quite interested in the bolivian rams, serpae, neon and blackskirt tetras, but unsure if I should add them and how many. What do you think?

thanks

WillyStyle said:
Hey all.
I have just completed cycling my second tank to begin a community tank. So far I have 3 juvenile angels and 3 corys. Anyway I was looking to see what else I should add. I'm quite interested in the bolivian rams, serpae, neon and blackskirt tetras, but unsure if I should add them and how many. What do you think?

thanks

Welcome to the site :). First thing I would do is bump the number of Corys up to 5-6 minimum. They love to be in groups and are much more active and entertaining that way. A school of of each kind of Tetra you mentioned would be great IMO. I do not know the bio-load of Angels...so it would be a good idea to research that before deciding on the number of schools to add. I have a Bolivian Ram as my Centerpiece fish and he is great. He's a very intelligent and interactive fish.

As for how quickly to stock...was it a fishless cycle at 4ppm ammo? How long ago did the cycle complete?

Last edited:
Thanks, and I'm loving this website btw! The tank has been up and running for more than a year, I used to have 6 silver dollars and realized they were going to get quite big so I gave them to a local restaurant to display. The ammo is at 0ppm last i checked. I will definately get more corys. How many ram's do you suggest?

Thanks, and I'm loving this website btw! The tank has been up and running for more than a year, I used to have 6 silver dollars and realized they were going to get quite big so I gave them to a local restaurant to display. The ammo is at 0ppm last i checked. I will definately get more corys. How many ram's do you suggest?

Didn't you say you recently cycled the tank? I'm confused if it's been up and running for over a year. Knowing you full parameters of ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes would be helpful as well in recommending how many fish and how quickly to stock.

I researched Bolivians quite a bit before I got mine, and decided on a single male to be on the safe side. Tons of people have more than one, but there is always the change of aggression if they are the same sex, and if they are a male / female pair it's also possible for them to become aggressive to other fish in the tank if they decide to mate.

I think when the angels mature to adult size they will eat small fish (i.e. neon tetras). I'm not sure but wouldn't putting angels with rams be risky since both species get pretty territorial? You should definitely add more cory catfish. Maybe serpae tetras would be good but I'm not sure...any fish you house with angels should be peaceful but also big enough to defend itself IMO.

Didn't you say you recently cycled the tank? I'm confused if it's been up and running for over a year. Knowing you full parameters of ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes would be helpful as well in recommending how many fish and how quickly to stock.

I researched Bolivians quite a bit before I got mine, and decided on a single male to be on the safe side. Tons of people have more than one, but there is always the change of aggression if they are the same sex, and if they are a male / female pair it's also possible for them to become aggressive to other fish in the tank if they decide to mate.

Sorry to confuse, i did a large water change and did, i guess what you could say "recycling". nitrite is at 0ppm and nitrate is at 7ppm also. I think i'll give two rams a go since i have a 20 gallon tank if separation is needed!

Back
Top Bottom