looking for a good, reputable breeder of fire reds.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the-chad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got some beautiful fire reds from shrimpusadotcom but unfortunately I didnt get any males in the shipment. Thats ok though cause id like to add shrimp from a different source now to start a healthy colony.
Can anyone recommend a good breeder that can ship to northern michigan or even ontario canada? (I live on the ontario michigan border)

Do you have any berried females from what you got? They should be able to produce you enough males if you arent able to find any.

If not, I got half my fire reds and sakuras from a seller on AB, the other half from the classifieds section of another forum. I'd check any forums your a member of, or post a wanted add before you buy from anywhere else, you generally get the best deals from members. Aquabid is the 2nd best option, I've never been disappointed by quality, but the price gets a little steep.

There were 3 berried females but 2 died the first night..but itll be several months before any baby males are breeding size and im an impatient man ;)
The first time I ordered fire reds from classifieds I ended up getting cherries. Thats why im loooking for a good reference here.

Ooh! I understand! Well, I have mine all mixed together otherwise I'd send you some of mine. I'm in the opposite situation, too many males and not may females.

If I can remember the sellers names I'll get back to you!

How many shrimp did you buy from Bob, I find it odd that there are no males? Whenever you start working with a new strain it's best to buy 15+ shrimp to ensure good sex ratios. I would just order more from Bob he has great shrimp at affordable prices, I personally wouldn't worry about adding fresh genetics to your colony for a year plus.

Well...I ordered 30 females and 10 males. I received 29 females (10 of these were for a friend of mine) and no males. There were about 11 baby shrimp in the bag too...but these were 2-3 mm in size and way too small for me to sex (I suspect they were born in bag)
When I emailed bob about the missing males I got no response, I emailed again offering to pay again for another shipment to get my males and still no response.
Im really impressed with the quality of shrimp that I received and I told Bob this too, but now for some reason I cannot get a response out of him.

If you ordered 40 shrimp I guarantee that there has to be some males in there. I don't think Bob normally does sex requests like that unless its the chocolates, so chances are he just did a couple big scoops. There's bound to be more males in those babies that arrived with the adults too, I would just wait for them to mature before going off and ordering more.

Bob can get pretty busy and it's not uncommon for him to take awhile to respond, he gets pretty darn busy between sending emails, placing aquabid adds, picking up shrimp from the airport and so on.

Shrimp are one of those things you just have to have a little patience with. Post some pictures, I'd love to see Bobs fire reds as I haven't gotten any from him yet.

Ok. Here are a few pics of bob bauers fire reds I have now in my 20 gallon with 2 otos and a bunch of platy fry.

Attachments

• 20130412_032926.jpg
    20130412_032926.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20130412_032523.jpg
    20130412_032523.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20130412_033017.jpg
    20130412_033017.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20130412_032424.jpg
    20130412_032424.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 90
yea speedie is awesome.

But always buy more than 10, i think he also has a issue with too many females. I brought 8 pumpkins and 6 pfr from him and got all females =<

Back
Top Bottom