Looking for driftwood...BN pleco thanks you in advance...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I was going to avoid the driftwood (I have a nice setup IMO with terra cotta pots and plants), but the bug has bitten and I've read some conflicting articles saying that a BN pleco needs driftwood to rasp on (others say they don't as long as a good veggie diet is supplied). So I have a 20gallon high tank and would like to remove one pot and put a small piece of driftwood in (maybe the size of a softball or slightly larger).

Anyone have any sites they highly recommend? I would like to keep it relatively cheap, but quality of the piece (I'd like it to be unique in shape) is more important than a square hunk of wood.

Or is this something I can do myself (ie find a creek with a cool piece of wood and then boil the heck out of it, etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Driftwood is the one thing I don't buy online because I like to see exactly what I'm getting...for the same issue of I want the right shape! :) Most LFS (including the big chains--here at least) have Malaysian driftwood which has the benefit of sinking quickly and not leaching a lot of tannins, IME.

You can collect your own...you want hardwoods (maple, oak). You also want to make sure it's neither green nor rotting. Then scrub it off well--I would boil too in an attempt to sterilize it. Then it's an issue of letting it soak long enough to sink! Some people have said boiling it hurries that...I tried it with mine, not sure if it helped or not but made me feel like I was doing something!

I ordered a piece of driftwood from Drs. Foster and Smith and was not very satisfied with it. It was the size promised, but I wasn't happy with the shape/uniqueness.

driftwood

Have you tried aquabid.com?? Several sellers there take pics of the actual pieces for sale and post it with the dimensions. So you get what you see. Another place to try is Petco. All the ones near me have small pieces of malasian wood in some tanks and all are for sale. I have gotten small pieces for bristlenose (who really do need wood to rasp) several times. I just boil it for 15 min to insure it is sterile and it is ready for the tank. Good luck and your BN will love you for it!!!!

I saw a piece in a tank at the LFS that I really liked, so I asked if I could buy it, and the guy said yes. All ready for my tank!

Back
Top Bottom