Looking for LEDs for 150 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C5thomas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I finally did it. I went from a 29 gallon bio cube to a 150 gallon predator tank. So far I've got $20 in tank, stand, sump power heads and pumps $50 in protein skimmer $40 for 80lbs of black sand, $100 in coral insert (retail $700) $100 in miscellaneous. So always keep a lookout on CL. The really good deals are there. But now I'm looking for a really good LED lite. Need suggestions. This is one thing I'm willing to pay for. I want this thing to POP! Remember no corals. But the lights is the reason I spent 2 months searching CL for bargains.

Attachments

• image-1357504131.jpg
    image-1357504131.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image-4278092110.jpg
    image-4278092110.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 123
Where did you get that much black sand from for that cheap.

If your definitely not having corals then no need to break the bank on lights. Loads of people recommend the taotronics units but again, that would be over kill for what is essentially fish only. I usually don't recommend marineland LEDs but in this case I think they would look good with the coral inserts. Not sure how big or how many you would need to cover the tank...

I've got a couple of buddies that are in the business. So I can get a lot new for wholesale. However LED lighting gets no discount. And the wholesalers usually don't carry much if at all. Marineland lights I just don't think will penetrate. It's very deep.

Alot of individuals have had excellent results using Taotronic led dimmable lighting. I've used them on my 55 and they work well and are affordable to boot! I agree with Bectan tho, if your not growing corals than PAR isn't an issue.

Tao Tronics are from china correct? I've seen them and look good for the cost.

I just received my 2nd unit of the led panels from china and am very satisfied with them. Great penetration, great price and they work!
lol

I'm about to order three for my new 125 build. Go for it! The folks here give pretty good and useful knowledge I kno I've learned a ton and I'm a noob haha!

just do the Taos. theres no need to waste the money on the Marineland led lights when you can spend a bit less on the Taos. Any led fixture will penetrate to the bottom of your tank, however, the amount of PAR that reaches the bottom is a completely different story. but luckily you aren't planning on corals so PAR doesn't matter. an added benefit is that if you go with the Tao units, if you ever decide to try corals down the road, youll have the lighting to do so

Before spending hundreds of dollars on lights, I'd see if any of the paints/tints in the plastics glow. A cheap black light bulb used in a dark room with the decos should show that. If they do glow, then having some ultraviolet in the lighting will cause more pop in the colours. Then I would test the colours under a range of lighting temperatures. All of our coral experience is useless when it comes to providing the right light for a plastic deco. Some lighting stores (specialty stores) will have a dark room where you can experiment with different bulbs. Where a 5700K bulb is crap in a coral environment, it may be just the right bulb for your decos. Where 12,000K and Actinic lighting best supports our live corals, it is very likely to wash out the colours in your's.
Personally, I doubt the Taotronics will provide the colours you need. Remember, the colours in your decos are the colours you need in your lights.

Because he doesn't have ANY corals. All he has is plastic decorations with tints. The lighting needs for coloured plastics is nothing like the lighting needs for corals. He will want much more reds and greens as those are the primary colours in his decorations. And Taotronic lights are much more biased to the Blue spectrum.
But, all I did was recommended he TRY some different temperature bulbs in a dark room and see what gives his DECORATIONS the best pop. I suspect a 5700 or 6500K bulb will give him a much better result than a 12000K+ LED unit. But, hey, if he wants to spend $300+ on a light that leaves his red coloured decorations looking black, who am I to argue.

Now, where did I ever say "Taos wont be simufficient"?

Ingy said:
Personally, I doubt the Taotronics will provide the colours you need.

Seems like you are telling him they are insufficient to me.

Taos led fixtures will light a coral deco set just as well as anything else. You may see slight differences in color temps, but the drastic effect youre suggesting isnt going to occur. Not to mention he will gain the shimmer effects throughout the tank. Maybe he prefers the blue hue, then again maybe he doesnt, let him decide

Didn't say they are insufficient. I said they are 'probably' the wrong colour. And I stand by that. But I also said GO TO A LIGHT STORE AND CHECK THE DECOS OUT UNDER DIFFERENT LIGHTS. As compared to many others who are saying BUT HUNDRED DOLLAR FIXTURES THAT ARE GREAT FOR REAL LIVE CORALS.

Nuff of that. If dude wants to spend up to $400 on lights that might make his red plastics look black, great.

They arent going to make his reds look black. I dont know why people assume that just because a fixture has only whites and blues that it wont light individual colors. Why waste money on a bulb that cant support future coral growth (if he decides to try) when he can spend a relatively cheap amount now and get capable led fixtures? To the OP, the Taos (or any other blue/white fixture) will work just fine. As previously stated you may see a SLIGHT difference with a "full spectrum" bulb or a lower kelvin temp, but itll be nothing worth sweating over

Back
Top Bottom