Looking for plants and info on what type of plants are best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinmadden

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Like I said My girlfriend and I have discovered the awesome hobby of having an aquarium so we went out and bought a 20 gallon tank to see if we could do it. So I thought I'd come here to see what type of plants would be best for us as beginners..help anyone?

First, what kind of lighting do you have? That's usually the limiting factor for beginners.

Chances are the guy at Petco has no idea what he's talking about. I honestly think most of them make it up as they go. Every once in a while you find a good fish person in the big box store, but it's rare.

Chances are you have a 24" single fluorescent T8 bulb rated at 20W. On a 20g, this might be enough light to keep low-light plants like java fern, java moss, anubias, vals, and most crypts going.

Wow Bigjim your right that's exactly what I have. Ha! So were can I find these type of plants bc all the pet shops around here sell only I think they called it a banana plant and bamboo stalks.

We really love our tank. We've kinda made it our little project it's so much fun!!

The Petco by me carries some crypts. You can find anubias nana in those little tubes with the gel. I got my java fern and java moss on eBay pretty cheaply. If you're patient, both of these plants will reproduce rather quickly. The java fern I got about a year ago with three leaves is the size of a volleyball and has put out tons of babies, about a dozen of which I've got attached to driftwood in a couple tanks.

There's always online retailer too. I've heard good things about aquariumplants.com and sweetaquatic.com. Sometimes people post plants for sale in the Classifieds or Barter/Trade forum here too.

Back
Top Bottom