Looking for suggestions on a plant heavy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbjfan75

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just set a 29g into place. It's just lacking water /plants /fish. I'd really like to use this tank as a heavily planted one but am unsure how to go about it. All of my previous /other tasks have been sporadically planted without a good plan in place to have them covered in plants. Looking at gourami or German blue rams with some tetras and cories as the fish stock. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Planning is your friend. I suggest you find pics of stuff you like and build your vision.

Sand or Eco?

Hardscape or woods?

What kind of light? This really impacts the plants that will thrive.

Planning is your friend. I suggest you find pics of stuff you like and build your vision.

Sand or Eco? Sand

Hardscape or woods? Rock and small piece of driftwood

What kind of light? This really impacts the plants that will thrive.
. Currently it's a built-in hood with unknown LED, but am planning on building a canopy and upgrading to a better light with a timer. (Welcome suggestions!) IMG_2251.jpg

First tip I would have would be the rake the substrate more. Make it lower at the front and higher at the back. This will give you "depth"

Also are u planning just plants or do u want rocks and drift wood aswell? If so choose 1 colour of driftwood and 1 type of rock to use. If u use multiple it's becomes too distracting to the eye and will ruin the aesthetics of the scape :)

Also is this going to be low tech or will u be injecting co2 and have a high light fixture?

First tip I would have would be the rake the substrate more. Make it lower at the front and higher at the back. This will give you "depth"

Also are u planning just plants or do u want rocks and drift wood aswell? If so choose 1 colour of driftwood and 1 type of rock to use. If u use multiple it's becomes too distracting to the eye and will ruin the aesthetics of the scape :)

Also is this going to be low tech or will u be injecting co2 and have a high light fixture?

I already have the one rock and one piece of wood I want, so more plants than anything.

Low tech in regards to CO2. But will likely put a high output light fixture in place.

I already have the one rock and one piece of wood I want, so more plants than anything.

Low tech in regards to CO2. But will likely put a high output light fixture in place.

Asking for trouble with no co2 and high lighting. You'll grow an algae farm. Get a low-medium light fixture and go with the more low tech plants. Anubias, Java fern, hygro's, mosses, bacopa, lobelia cardinals, buce, crypts , some ludwigia.

All of those can be grown with just excel or similar and low/mid lighting. For the high lighting plants it's a "must" to have pressurised.

There was a member years ago (Rivercats) that was able to grow plants well in a high tech setup, as well with minimal algae, without pressurized CO2. I have no idea how she was able to pull it off. It is quite difficult to balance a tank without pressurized CO2 and high light though. I think you'd be fine without pressurized CO2 in low medium lighting.

Plant wise, the aforementioned plants will be suitable. In my opinion, stems don't look as good in low tech setups. Those stems listed will do fine though! Cryptocoryne, Marsilea, Echinodorus, Dwarf Sag, Bucephalandra, Anubias, and Java Fern (many different varieties that are unique) are plants that I look for when I'm hunting for low light plants. Vallisneria is good too, but you'd want to avoid the varieties that get huge (Jungle Val, for example).

Back
Top Bottom