Loosing my Noods with sick Goldfish :( :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamami8326

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I am at my wits end with my goldfish. I've lost my 2 favorites and have no idea what was wrong. First ill answer all the necissary questions
--The first affected goldfish was a red cap oranda, about 2 inches long including fins. For a week prior to his death he started to loose his appetite and became very lethargic, laying on the gravel barely breathing. He started getting very skinny and moved less and less. On day 3 his red cap started developing black spots which grew as the days went by.
--The second affected goldfish was a black moor, about 2.5 inches long with fins. He has always been kind of lazy, laying on the rocks or floating around the middle of the tank most of the time. The day after the red cap died, I woke up to find him laying on his side on the rocks, barely breathing. I finished work at noon and went to do a water change, only to find the black moor was already dead.
--After both died I noticed their scales were slightly pineconed, but with no swelling at all.
--The red cap oranda was in a 15 gallon long tank with another very small oranda (less than 2 inches). It has been fully cycled and running for 2 and a half months now with a Tetra Whisper 10-30 In-tank Filter. This filter has an output of 150 gph(As far as I remember). The tank parameters were
Ammonia:0.0
Nitrites:0.2
Nitrates:0.0
Temperature: 23 degres Celsius during the day, dropping down to about 21 degrees through the night
PH: 7.5
--The black moor was in a 29 gallon tank with a large fantail goldfish (about 5.5-6 inches including fins). It has been up and running for 2 months now with an Aquatech 20? filter. Not sure on the name but I know it puts out 240 gph (I know that ideally, there should be a bit more. I'm on limited funds and those filters can be expensive here). Tank parameters were
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrites: 0.0
Nitrates: 0.0
Temp: 23-24 degrees celsius during the day dropping to 22 at night
PH: 7.5
--I do a 20-25% water change every week and vacuum the gravel when needed (usually at 3 weeks sometimes less)?
--I had the red cap oranda for about 3 weeks before he started showing signs of illness. I had the black moor for almost 2 months before he died.
--Nothing new was added to the tanks
--I feed all of my goldfish a combination of tetra goldfish flakes and pellets (both the floating variety)
--The black moor was already being treated for damaged fins with 1 tbs of salt per gallon of water (he showed no signs of infection, and was recovering very well)
--After noticing the red cap's symptoms I added salt to his aquarium as well.

Can someone please help me diagnose the problem so I can have some peace of mind and knowledge to prevent and treat in the future? I hate losing fish and honestly shed a tear this morning when my black moor died.

Well, lets first start with your water. What are you using to test your water (liquid or strips, brand)? I am questioning your results because you have zero nitrates- unless your tanks are heavily planted or your doing 100% water changes daily, you should have some level of detectable nitrates in a fully cycled tank especially because you are doing small water changes. This result makes me then question the ammonia & nitrite readings & their accuracy. You did mention nitrites in one tank- there should be no nitrites at all & this likely contributed to the illness in your one fish as well as him being new & possibly having other issues as well. Lets start with this & we can go from here!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom