Losing fish, stocking issue? - "HELP"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fifi1968

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP NEEDED about 6 months ago i set up a 64 litre tank.
at first i had new tank syndrome and then a multitude of water problems.
i got all that sorted but i am still lossing fish.

i have 2 angle's
2 rosie garammi's
1 pleco
1 cat fish
i did have 8 guppie's but only have 1 left,
i did have 2 platies and now only 1.

PLEASE HELP ALL ADVICE TAKEN ON BOARD.

Last edited by a moderator:
At roughly 16 US Gallons your tank is over stocked. You probably have high ammonia and/or nitrite levels. The angels will become too big for a 16g tank, as will your pleco. Some of the common plecos can grow over a foot long easily.

Do you have a liquid test kit? What are your water parameters? This will help us get a better idea of what is going on in your tank.

I would suggest doing a large change to start with, 50% or more at this point and then get back to us with your water parameters.

PS - I changed your title to make it a little more descriptive.

i will take a water to the local shop in the morning and ask them to recheck my waters and let you know what thay say
i only have 6 fish a pleco and cat fish i now thay will get rather big i do hope to get a larger tank but till i sort out this one i carn;t take on a bigger one.

If the ammonia is high then be ready to do a 50% water change and vaccum the gravel with a siphon. Then the next day do another 50% water change and get the water tested again and go from there.

meegosh and Jason are right. Read up on the nitrogen cycle here on AA. I'd suspect your water parameters are out of whack. Consider rehoming the pleco and the angels. What kind of catfish do you have? If it's a corydora, you should add a few more after you get your tank sorted out. If it's any other catfish, it'll probably get too large for the tank. Don't add any more fish until you ensure you're maintaining good water quality.

+2 to meegosh and jason.

I recommend to read up on the nitrocycle also. To keep the ammonia down for everyone, Do a 25-50% water change every day with addtional prime (detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for a full 24 hours) until you parameters get in check

Would you happen to know what kind of Catfish you have? That would really help out.

The common pleco (as said before) can get 18-24 inches long and they are big waste producers, so I advise you get rid of him. The angelfish would need at least a 30g for a pair ( 10 gallon per full size adult angelfish), so you need to get rid of these also.

Would you happen to know if the rosie gouramis are honey or dwarf gouramis?
sorry for asking so many questions but It will help out :)

Tyler

i will take a water to the local shop in the morning and ask them to recheck my waters and let you know what thay say

Don't. Go to the shop and buy an API Master test kit instead. If you have problems with your tank you may need to be testing your water on an almost daily basis, going into the shop every time is not practical in any sense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom