Lost a few mollies, wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

splintercat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
Over the last month or so I've lost 4 mollies. I was so sad to come home today to find the 4th one being munched on by one of my snails.

All the water paramaters in my tank (29 planted) are fine (Ammonia & Nitrite = 0, Nitrates are a bit high at about 40-50) except for my ph. It's been hovering at about 6.4-6.6 since the tank was set up a few months ago. I know mollies prefer a higher ph, but I also know that playing with ph usually does more harm than good and that fish tend to be adaptable.

This last (dalmation) molly to go was being harassed by my male black molly, so I QTd him a couple of days ago. Only to come home from work today and find my dalmation dead anyway. I guess Mr. Jerk the black molly can have free roam of the tank again now, though I think I might sell him just to be safe.

Do you think it's my low ph that's causing them to die? I'm going to sell this last guy so that he doesn't wind up with the same fate as the others. But there is a guppy living in there happily at this current ph (and is even recovering from ich quite well).

Everyone else in the tank is fine, and even my GBRs are thriving (though I know they like the lower ph). I just thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom