Lost two fish in one day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waikle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, last weekend I lost two fish. The first one, a Pristella tetra who was one of my first fish when I set up the tank a year ago had obviously been dying for a few days so I researched euthanasia and did the whole clove oil thing. It started with a curved spine so I quarantined it and took a pic to show the the pet store - just happened to be going to the city- and they said that it looked like maybe I caught it with the gravel vac. So I put it back in the tank with the rest. Oops. A day or so later it was acting rather lethargic so I put it back in quarantine where it stopped eating and I eventually put it out of its misery. That same afternoon I noticed my pineapple platy (had about 10 months) acting rather lethargic as well so much so that it got stuck to the filter intake. So I quarantined it and it was dead within hours. I don't know what disease might have affected them, they were not new fish and I hadn't added any new fish in months. I haven't changed the decor since I set up the tank a year ago. Although I did add some hornwort on the advice of my pet store which had started to die a few weeks previous but I did remove it. I am worried that the rest of my fish were exposed to whatever killed these two. If so do I take a chance and add another fish? My ammonia is at 0, ph is 7.6, temp is 78 and I don't have a nitrate test kit right now but I will be getting another as soon as I can. At the time there were 2 platy, 2 pristella tetra, 2 head and taillight tetra, 3 columbian tetra, 1 peppered cory and 1 assasin snail in the 20 gallon tank. I feed them flake food because that's all I can get locally, I do weekly water changes. Now to top this all off there was a power outage this morning that has fried my filter (Aquaclear 30) and heater. Again these are not things that I can buy locally. How long can fish go without a filter? Or will they be ok for a week if I do daily water changes? Thanks again for any advice. :fish2:

Hi there, last weekend I lost two fish. The first one, a Pristella tetra who was one of my first fish when I set up the tank a year ago had obviously been dying for a few days so I researched euthanasia and did the whole clove oil thing. It started with a curved spine so I quarantined it and took a pic to show the the pet store - just happened to be going to the city- and they said that it looked like maybe I caught it with the gravel vac. So I put it back in the tank with the rest. Oops. A day or so later it was acting rather lethargic so I put it back in quarantine where it stopped eating and I eventually put it out of its misery. That same afternoon I noticed my pineapple platy (had about 10 months) acting rather lethargic as well so much so that it got stuck to the filter intake. So I quarantined it and it was dead within hours. I don't know what disease might have affected them, they were not new fish and I hadn't added any new fish in months. I haven't changed the decor since I set up the tank a year ago. Although I did add some hornwort on the advice of my pet store which had started to die a few weeks previous but I did remove it. I am worried that the rest of my fish were exposed to whatever killed these two. If so do I take a chance and add another fish? My ammonia is at 0, ph is 7.6, temp is 78 and I don't have a nitrate test kit right now but I will be getting another as soon as I can. At the time there were 2 platy, 2 pristella tetra, 2 head and taillight tetra, 3 columbian tetra, 1 peppered cory and 1 assasin snail in the 20 gallon tank. I feed them flake food because that's all I can get locally, I do weekly water changes. Now to top this all off there was a power outage this morning that has fried my filter (Aquaclear 30) and heater. Again these are not things that I can buy locally. How long can fish go without a filter? Or will they be ok for a week if I do daily water changes? Thanks again for any advice. :fish2:

They will hopefully be ok for a week with daily water changes (or as needed as ammonia increases). I have a battery powered air pump just in case of this or power failure.

What is room temperature? If only a few degrees below their preferred temp range, they will be fine (if somewhat lethargic). Temp-matched water changes should also help.

Could be a bacterial infection. Were there any marks on the fish? Did they just slow down or were they swimming erratically / twitching / flashing at all?

I'd wait until you have the tank all sorted and settled for a few weeks before getting any more fish. An alternative would a quarantine tank. Last question was were there any fish in with plants you bought (at store tanks) and did they look ok? I will usually avoid any plant tanks at the lfs here just in case but next store is only 5 minutes away.

I did sort out the filter. Turns out a local lady had an old dynaflo filter which I picked up thinking it would at least work for a week until I could get a proper one. Turns out the motor was the same as the aquaclear so now I have a filter again.
As far as the fish, they didn't have any visible marks, they just kind of lost all their energy and appetite. I have a picture of the pristella tetra I will try to post.
The plants came from a plant only tank, although a few snails did catch a ride home in there.
I did invest in a quarantine tank... and a surge protector. I had never quarantined fish before, I just trusted the pet store. Which brings me to another question... how long should I quarantine new fish for?
Thanks

Time in a QT seems to vary from 0 to say 6 weeks from threads I have seen. It all depends on how much you trust the fish shop really.

I tend to allow 2 weeks in QT. One week for any bacterial / ich infections to show and another week to see if the fish is keeping weight / pooping ok (for internal parasites). Others will allow 6 weeks for internal parasites to possibly show.

My pet stores are small so I can check fish out readily for a few weeks before buying as well.

Plants I will usually put in a bucket of fresh water overnight. Pretty sure I've had ich come in with water from plants so I check those tanks more carefully now. Others will treat plants with dips before using in main tanks (eg remove snails).

Back
Top Bottom