Low light corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conroy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 6 gallon tank and want to know is there corals out there that will grow in low light

sun coral requires no light but not sure if it could go in a 6.. what kind of light do u have? in my 6 gallon i have yellow polyps some green button polyps and a mushroom which im gonna cut up and spread around the tank im just waiting to see if it survives thrives or dives before i decide to keep it in the tank.. my lighting is the stock duel ten watt halogen i think super gross yellow then i have a 12 inch t8 attenic which is not great but the blue gets rid of the yellow lastly i have a nano 28 white led clip on lamp which is also cheap just makes the tank a lil brighter

Just to add and maybe get an answer my sun coral opens up nicely at night! Never during the day. Kinda annoys me because it's so pretty. I took this picture when the moonlights were on, I turned the light on really quick.

Do they get there night and days mixed up? I target feed it at night when it's open. So now I feed my tank at night for the most part. Of not I'll just target feed the SC when it opens.

View attachment 82237

Last edited:
Just to add and maybe get an answer my sun coral opens up nicely at night! Never during the day. Kinda annoys me because it's so pretty. I took this picture when the moonlights were on, I turned the light on really quick.

Do they get there night and days mixed up? I target feed it at night when it's open. So now I feed my tank at night for the most part. Of not I'll just target feed the SC when it opens.

View attachment 82237

Dino,

Sun coral is a non photosynthetic coral. check it out:

"It is one of the few corals that does not contain a symbiotic algae, so it must be fed vitamin-enriched brine shrimp or micro-plankton from an eye dropper directly to each one of its polyps. It will usually only expand its polyps in the evening or when it is hungry. "

try feeding your tank during you daylight period to get it used to opening up when lights are on. at first it won't accept it but I believe you can "train" it to eat on your schedule. just throw a 2x amount of mysis or brine in the tank during the day, when it hits the polyps it'll open. maybe not at first, but once it's hungry enough it will open lol

so for the OP, this is a great coral as long as he knows to only handle the bottom of the coral and DON'T touch the polyps.

Thanks for your advice I have 6 .5 watt led do pretty much 3 watts I put a bubble tip in and it seems to be doing good it still has its neon green color anyways thank you guys and why would you only be able to touch the bottom of the coral and not the top j/w

Thanks for your advice I have 6 .5 watt led do pretty much 3 watts I put a bubble tip in and it seems to be doing good it still has its neon green color anyways thank you guys and why would you only be able to touch the bottom of the coral and not the top j/w
That isn't going to keep much of anything, including the BTA I'm afraid.
I don't know why you wouldn't be able to touch a sun coral. I've touched many of them while feeding and had no adverse reaction thus far.

That isn't going to keep much of anything, including the BTA I'm afraid.
I don't know why you wouldn't be able to touch a sun coral. I've touched many of them while feeding and had no adverse reaction thus far.

the polyps are pretty sensitive, thats the only reason. nothing to do with adverse reactions on skin tho

Back
Top Bottom