Low light dense foliage plant suggestions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glorifiedfisher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm looking for some suggestions on a low light plant with dense foliage to fill some spaces at the back of my tank. I have recently tried Wisteria but the leaves have died off over a 2-3 week period, with the only growth at the very top. It's sending out roots from the lower stem still so it may bounce back. If not does anyone have an other suggestions? I dose Flourish excel at the recommended level and have root tabs also....
All levels in the tank are normal with Nitrate currently at 15ppm. Any help mic appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi all,

I'm looking for some suggestions on a low light plant with dense foliage to fill some spaces at the back of my tank. I have recently tried Wisteria but the leaves have died off over a 2-3 week period, with the only growth at the very top. It's sending out roots from the lower stem still so it may bounce back. If not does anyone have an other suggestions? I dose Flourish excel at the recommended level and have root tabs also....
All levels in the tank are normal with Nitrate currently at 15ppm. Any help mic appreciated!!

Hello!

What size tank are we talking here?

Have you looked at something like Crypt wendtii? They would love a root tab and do well in low light. Any member of the crypt family is a root feeder, and tolerates low light.

Hope that helps!

Hygrophila Polysperma and ludwigia repens are nice low light plants, not necessarily sense foliage though (but they can be).

Java fern 'Windelov', also called lace type java fern, does this well for me. Shrimp love to hide in it, and it is very easy to grow.

+1 on crypt wendtii, they grow pretty compact in low light. Can you tell us more about your lighting? Dwarf sag could possibly work. If your lighting is very low I'd look into some of the smaller java fern types like 'narrow leaf' and 'Philippine'.

Back
Top Bottom