Low light fixture for a 20 gallon tall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to upgrade my tank from my 10 which has two 13w cfls. I only really want to keep low light plants like java fern, money wort and anubias. Right now it has a 19w T8 bulb, which I'm thinking isn't really enough. Any suggestions for upgrading my fixture semi cheaply?

I'm not a light expert ... but a 19W T8bulb in a 20 gal is just under 1wpg ... that may be ok for the plants you listed if the bulbs are 6500K - 6700K bulb temperature ... otherwise the bulbs are only good for looking at fish. I running one 6700K 48W T8 bulb in a 75gal and my plants are holding their own ... not growing, but not dying either.

If you invest in a T5 fixture & bulb, you should have more than enough light for a 20gal ... maybe a little too much. See the link below for ideas light intensity.

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - Updated Again Charts

A t8 with the right spectrum as mentioned above would work for really low light stuff, however if you are going to upgrade you might as well upgrade to a better fixture so that it opens up a lot more options for you. That chart linked by jcolon is a great starting point to get an idea of where you want to be.

On some of my budget builds I just use a standard incandescent hood and use CFLs like you said are in your 10, they do a fine job and keep plants growing. I have a 29g native species tank that has 2 CFLs on a stock hood and it's heavily planted, no co2, and has been running fine for several months now.

Before when I started the 10, I tried growing the moneywort in 15w which is 1.5w/gallon and I was not doing well. And at tank is at least 3-4 inches shorter than the 20. So ill try to find a T5 fixture, I've heard a lot about them. The bulb in is an aqua glo bulb which is supposed to have 'a really good light spectrum for growing plants' even though its at 18000k. I was planning on getting an 8000k bulb ( which is good ) if there is no other way I could get a slightly better wattage for a good price. Ive been looking around for a incandescent hood that would fit my tank, havent had much luck yet, but il keep trying. Thanks for the chart!

Before when I started the 10, I tried growing the moneywort in 15w which is 1.5w/gallon and I was not doing well. And at tank is at least 3-4 inches shorter than the 20. So ill try to find a T5 fixture, I've heard a lot about them. The bulb in is an aqua glo bulb which is supposed to have 'a really good light spectrum for growing plants' even though its at 18000k. I was planning on getting an 8000k bulb ( which is good ) if there is no other way I could get a slightly better wattage for a good price. Ive been looking around for a incandescent hood that would fit my tank, havent had much luck yet, but il keep trying. Thanks for the chart!

No problem ... hope you have luck ... from what I understand, wattage is not an issue with T5's ... just with T8 / T12. I'm looking to upgrade to an aqueon dual T5 fixture w/ bulbs from Petsmart .. and it's for $80 which is the best price I've seen on a 48" dual T5's.

Back
Top Bottom