Low light planting (0.8WPGs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,

I'm looking for a few plants to use in my current and future tanks.

I have a 17gal juwel tank with the standard bulb (15watt) which leaves me at around 0.83 watts per gal.

I don't use any ferts either.

Anyways I would like background plants for my Honey Gourami and Tetra to hide in, possibly something bushy?

And I will need some foreground plants too.

WPG isn't a particularly useful metric for a number of reasons.... I assume that's a single bulb T8 correct? How high is the bulb from substrate level?

Honestly, all the conjecturing in the world isn't as useful as throwing some plants in your tank and seeing what sticks. I would recommend crypts, java ferns, and anubias as good low light plants. You can also try some hornwort, anacharis, and wisteria. The wisteria will be a good test of your lighting, as it can be a bit more light hungry than the other species listed. That being said, wisteria is a fantastic plant for creating cover, as it gets a nice bushy look to it, so much so that it can become a problem after a long time (or all the time in high tech setups).

aqua_chem said:
WPG isn't a particularly useful metric for a number of reasons.... I assume that's a single bulb T8 correct? How high is the bulb from substrate level?

Honestly, all the conjecturing in the world isn't as useful as throwing some plants in your tank and seeing what sticks. I would recommend crypts, java ferns, and anubias as good low light plants. You can also try some hornwort, anacharis, and wisteria. The wisteria will be a good test of your lighting, as it can be a bit more light hungry than the other species listed. That being said, wisteria is a fantastic plant for creating cover, as it gets a nice bushy look to it, so much so that it can become a problem after a long time (or all the time in high tech setups).

Sorry my phone didn't notify me!

Yes it is a single T8 18" 15w day-lite bulb, I can't find a better bulb for my set up really :(

I have Anubias and they have been in for a week so it's not enough time to gauge anything really.

The light is around 18" from the gravel.

I think I'll try the plants you listed and hope for the best really.

Thanks aqua_chem!

Back
Top Bottom