Low light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medic747

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any good recommendations for cool low light plants? All I have is a florecent bulb just think it would be cool to have some live plants!!!

I have a 55 gal with 1 flouresent power glo bulb and I have several Jungle Val and Contrusion Val Grass and it's spreading like crazy. Plus they were under $2 each.

Lots of crypts will grow in low light as well... and java moss is very popular.

You can also grow Bacopa, marimo balls and red dwarf lilies in very low light.

Any idea on how v to dose and test co2 and ferts I'm new and lost to the whole live plants ordeal, any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new to planted tanks, start slowly with a low-tech tank:

Keep your lighting around 1.5 Wpg. This will allow you to grow a variety of plants, but avoid the need for CO2 or a strict fertilizing regimen.

I don't run CO2 on any of my tanks at the moment and I use simple fluorescent bulbs. I also dose some Flourish after a PWC. My plants do well with a little algae growth on the tanks with the most light and the most surface agitation.

Once you've got the hang of the low-light tank, you can think about adding CO2, ferts, and more light.

Wpg = Watts per gallon. It's a rough way to figure the amount of light you're providing to your tank. It's based on T8 bulbs, but it works well enough for most other light types.

Back
Top Bottom