Low pH and temp at 80 degrees - possible fixes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my tank for a little over a week now and I cannot get the pH to climb above 7.7. On top of that the temperature seems stuck at 80.1 degrees, even after I lowered the temp on the submersible heater. I have a 90 gallon tank, with glass lids, and a canopy on top of that with glass lids. My tank has no powerheads. There is some surface agitation at the top of the tank via some tubing coming out of the All-Glass overflow, but that's it.

I've read here that I should remove my glass tops and get eggcrates. Should I also invest in some fans? If so, what kind (are these clip on fans?) and where can I find them?

Lastly, should I have some powerheads in this tank to increase agitation? And if the answer is yes, how many, and what kind?

And here's a great question: For those of you with cats who LOVE to jump on top of the tank canopy, how do you keep them from doing this? :roll:

80 degree is an OK temp. And if it is stuck there and doesnt move around that is even better.

I dont know how to raise PH, get a PH buffer. Or some chemicals.

For the cat problem, build a canopy. A canopy is a wooden thing that is only open in the back so you can still put your skimmer and stuff, and rests on the top of the tank, and you can put a top on it (Actually if you didnt it would be really flimsy) that would be a lot better.

Add a couple fans to help lower the temp and you need to get some water movement going, I would go with 3-4 maxijet 1200's aim a couple power heads at the surface to get the water moving and since I assume your still cycling your tank dont sweat the ph to much right now but after your cycle you will need to do a water change and this will bring up the ph.
Now if you allready have fish in the tank thats a entirely different story, let us know if you do.

Shannono said:
For those of you with cats who LOVE to jump on top of the tank canopy, how do you keep them from doing this? Rolling Eyes

All of my cats are very familiar with the squirt bottle. When they started jumping on the canopy, all I had to do was take the water bottle out of the cabinet and they freaked out. I leave it on top of the canopy now as a reminder :D

Now if you allready have fish in the tank thats a entirely different story, let us know if you do.

Thumper: I do have fish in the tank. I'm cycling my tank with damsels (6). Should I not concern myself with the pH until after the cycle finishes?

All of my cats are very familiar with the squirt bottle. When they started jumping on the canopy, all I had to do was take the water bottle out of the cabinet and they freaked out.

Meredith: The squirt bottle is a great suggestion for when I am actually at home with the cat. Unfortunately, I don't trust him for one minute when I am at work. I'll try the squirt bottle while I am at home - maybe the fear of it will keep him from jumping up there when I am gone.

What kind of sand did you use? crushed coral and aragonite sand will help buffer the water...cheap silica based playsand will not.

When a tank is cycling it's common for the pH to be below ideal, because of the ammonia being created, and the general instability of the system. This is a primary reason for going with a fishless cycle...but we're past that now since you're using damsels.

Keep track of water parameters (ammonia and nitrite) on a daily basis...and have plenty of pre-mixed saltwater available, so you can start with daily water changes as ammonia and nitrite rise and hit toxic levels.

What kind of sand did you use?
I used aragonite sand.

Keep track of water parameters (ammonia and nitrite) on a daily basis
My ammonia is at 1.25mg/l, nitrites are at 0.3mg/l, and nitrates are at 25mg/l (gulp!). I added some Prime to the water this morning before leaving for work - maybe it can help with the high nitrate and ammonia levels?

When cycling, Ph is not a huge conern. As Malkore mentioned, low Ph during cycling is rather normal. temp of 80 is just fine. Is there any way to remove the glass tops, or at least vent them? Thi can cause a low Ph. I would put in 3-4 maxi-jet 1200's as well. See f you can point one towrd the surface to bereak the surface of the water. this will help in gas exchange.
For those of you with cats who LOVE to jump on top of the tank canopy, how do you keep them from doing this?
You really can't keep a cat from doing what it wants, when it wants.

Is there any way to remove the glass tops, or at least vent them? Thi can cause a low Ph.

I went to Home Depot and purchased eggcrate for the top of the tank, then cut it to fit. I don't like leaving for work in the morning without putting the glass lids back on, for fear the cat will take a swandive into the tank, but when I am at home, I remove the glass tops. I will take your advice and purchase some Maxi-Jet powerheads. :D

You really can't keep a cat from doing what it wants, when it wants.

I've got some tricks up my sleeve with regards to the cat. I may not have won the battle yet, but I will win the war. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom