low PH in ghost shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knightnurse14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a week old 29 gallon tank I set up a week ago with ghost shrimp who seem to be doing well. They are eating, seem healthy and happy. I used substrate from a well established tank and have a hang on tank and a little heater set at 76 degrees.
I checked my water parameters for the first time and they are as follows
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0
PH 6
KH 120
GH 180

Do I need to be concerned about the low ph?
I did obtain identical readings on my well stocked 75 gallon community tank and the fish in there are doing well. Only one death in 2 years and it was a cory cat that died in less than 48 hours.
Thanks in advance
Don
PS. using API test strips to test water.

A low pH is nothing to be concerned about --so long as your pH is stable. I would test the water coming out of your tap, then leave it for 24 hours and test it again. Sometimes the pH decreases over time because gas buffers will evaporate out of the water. If this happens, then it's good to let your water sit before a PWC so your fish don't get pH shock.

But as long as your pH is the same at every test, your fish have already acclimated and will do fine. If you add any more though, please acclimate them long and properly to prevent deaths, I'm sure your LFS has a higher pH.

Now that I've said that, have you cycled your tank? I notice no nitrate readings, and your tank has been only set up a week, so I'm not sure the established gravel has cycled it yet. Do you have an ammonia test?

Final bit of advice, invest in a liquid API freshwater master test kit. The liquid tests are far more accurate, and you won't regret the 30$!

Welcome to AA, and if you need any more advice, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I might try that with my next water change. As far as nitrites/nitrates go I do about a 30% water change weekly on my community tank and run a marinelad 300 with the double biowheel that along with my reverse flow UGF run by two penguin 660's keeps the tank looking really good. I have been concerned about the new tank cycling so have done several pretty good sized pwc and plan to continue doing so for another week or two. Was planning to use up my current strips then change to the better kit.
Can ammonia be high and not show nitrites or nitrates?

Yes, for a while it certainly can be! In fact, when a cycle begins, the ammonia spikes with no trace of either 'trites or 'trates but can be very harmful to fish, which is why an ammonia tester is a must!

Thanks again for your advice. I did get an API freshwater kit. No ammonia or nitrite, just a trace of nitrate which did concern me a little but the shrimp look great and I have a berried female. Yeah! Also turns out my ph is closer to 7.8. Checked it first wtih the regular ph solution which showed 7.6 which surprised me since my strips had shown a low ph. With the high solution it was dead on 7.8. The little ghosties are such interesting little guys. I am adding a Java Moss wall in the next few days and hopefully in a few months when the tank is really well established I would like to add another species of shrimp. Not sure what would do well with the ghosties and will only do it if I can find some good information on compatability. Thanks again, Don

A trace of nitrate is actually a great thing, not a bad thing. Means your tank is cycled! =] I'm sure they'll love the Java Moss! I think that RCS (red cherry shrimp) and amano shrimp are both compatible with Ghost Shrimp.

Most any shrimp will go with ghost shrimp. RCS are a nice option, easy to care for and prolific breeders. Your pH is fine, no need to worry.

--Adeeb

I now have a bunch of baby ghosts. I found a place called aquaBid and am thinking of adding a dozen rcs. It is really fun to watch the shrimp they r so active

Back
Top Bottom