Lucky break with the gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some of you might remember that I recently purchased a pearl gourami. I only quarantined him for a very short time (10 days), and a few days ago, I added him to my 55.

I didn't anticipate any problems with my male betta (who is extraordinarily docile), 2 platies, ottos, cories or rubberlip pleco. However, I wasn't sure how things were going to go with him and my blue gourami. Well, "Big Blue" as my husband and I like to call him, was not happy about the new addition to the tank and started mercilessly harrassing the new guy. Moving the tank decor around wasn't really an option because of my plants, so I decided to put Big Blue into the quarantine tank that the new gourami had been using.

A day later, after his "time out", I put Big Blue back into my 55 and I haven't had any problems since. The two gouramis will take turns chasing each other a little, but fortunately they generally seem to leave each other alone. For those of you who have successfully kept a pair of gouramis together in a similar sized tank or smaller, do you expect this to last? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be okay.

I have a blue gourami that chases the orange one around the tank. They get into weird chasing matches and it is always the blue one starting it all. I'm pretty sure that they are both male gouramis and it stems from that.

It's funny -- I sort of expected them to stick to themselves and stake out different areas of the tank. But, they seem to be spending quite a bit of time together now with minimal aggressive behavior. I think this just might work!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom