Lyretail Guppy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 29 gallon tank that I am stocking. I said I would not get guppies because they breed too much. However, I saw a lyretail guppy at a local store and thought it was so pretty. I was wondering if it was possible to keep male guppies only. I currently have four female mollies and ghost shrimp.

I have a 29 gallon tank that I am stocking. I said I would not get guppies because they breed too much. However, I saw a lyretail guppy at a local store and thought it was so pretty. I was wondering if it was possible to keep male guppies only. I currently have four female mollies and ghost shrimp.

Or u could breed them;)

Poecilids can cross-breed. Mollies will breed with guppies and platy's with swordtails. But that's usually when there are no others of their own kind, and it is not a given, either.

David

Male Guppies

Hello wild...

Mollies are fin-nippers and will make a target of the Male Guppy's Fancy tail. You can have male guppies in their own "species" tank, but not with Mollies. I have large tanks of Fancy Guppies and a fish that will really do well in the same tank with them are Corydoras (the little catfish).

B

Well I guess if I get them they will go in another tank. I have all female Mollies. Or at least I think I do. Two of the are babies. Each of the adults had one fry each that made it. The dalmatian molly fry is definitly a female but the Gold doubloon molly fry is still to small and fast for me to make a positive id. While I wonder what a lyretale guppy and a molly would look like, I don't want to become over run with fry. Although I might be able to give them to a local pet store. She takes in kittens and dogs so she might take in extra fish. I will have to think about it awhile. I wish someone would come up with birth control for livebearers.
I didn't know that mollies would nip the fins of other fish. My dalmatian molly is pushy though. She sometimes bullies her tank mate. I want some other fish but I just can't seem to make up my mind or when I do they won't work with the mollies.

Back
Top Bottom