Make or female platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Female? The pictures arent too revealing. The abdomen is very large, so I want to say female. but it also looks like it might have a gonopodium.

Does she look pregnant? I'm a newbie and not sure about anything.

yea that's a female.
I havent bred them in forever, but, if I remember correctly, the black coloration right her anal fin means she's pregnant.

Maybe it's me but I don't see anything the pictures to tell me the sex of that fish or that it's pregnant. The only black I see is on the tail and that's normal for a Mickey fish.

Not saying anyone is wrong but can you point specifically to what made you come to your conclusions and teach me what I'm missing.

Maybe it's me but I don't see anything the pictures to tell me the sex of that fish or that it's pregnant. The only black I see is on the tail and that's normal for a Mickey fish.

Not saying anyone is wrong but can you point specifically to what made you come to your conclusions and teach me what I'm missing.

The black coloration is INSIDE the fish, it's right behind the silver coloring of the belly, above the anal fin, inside the fish. It shows that there are fertile eggs in her. I can see where you got confused haha.

The picture doesn't show any black that suggests a gravid spot as far as I can see. Also, all the fins are clamped, so it is hard to be certain if the anal fin has developed or is developing into a gonopodium. The size of the belly may not be conclusive as well fed males.can be quite bulbous.

To the OP, I am concerned by the clamped fins and the tail seems a little patchy. I hope this fish doesn't have a parasite problem. I have seen a lot of platys look like this when they have whitespot or costiasis, etc.

It looks pregnant to me. My platy clamps her fins like that when she is going to give birth soon. I have never been able to see a gravid spot on mine, but mine is darker than yours. Can you see whether the fish looks squarish when you look at it from above? That is also a sign of pregnancy.

If you look at the anal fin, you can try to determine the gender. If the fins are v shape, it is female. If it is pointy, male. Not far from human anatomy!

I have also had a fish with a parasite and it did have a bloated, distended belly.

The thing on the tail fin isn't clear enough for me to speculate. It could be an issue, I really don't know.

My platy does lose a bit of color when she is about to give birth.

Female Platies can also change sex to male. Could be one of those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The picture doesn't show any black that suggests a gravid spot as far as I can see. Also, all the fins are clamped, so it is hard to be certain if the anal fin has developed or is developing into a gonopodium. The size of the belly may not be conclusive as well fed males.can be quite bulbous.

To the OP, I am concerned by the clamped fins and the tail seems a little patchy. I hope this fish doesn't have a parasite problem. I have seen a lot of platys look like this when they have whitespot or costiasis, etc.

from what the pictures show, it is an adult, and, since the gonopodium is not showing, and there is a pregnancy mark on its belly and its quite bulbous, im goin to bet my money on its being a female.

Back
Top Bottom