Making My First Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
id be careful in doing a wet/dry style trickle filter. they are great for fw applications and even some FO/FOWLR sw setups, but they are a bit lacking in terms of reef filtration. i like the idea of being able to expand the system but if you plan on doing a reef at any point, i feel your time and money is better spent on another type of filtration.

id be careful in doing a wet/dry style trickle filter. they are great for fw applications and even some FO/FOWLR sw setups, but they are a bit lacking in terms of reef filtration. i like the idea of being able to expand the system but if you plan on doing a reef at any point, i feel your time and money is better spent on another type of filtration.

I am currently building a reef in this tank. Thats one of the reasons for wanting to build a bigger sump. It has filter socks right now which I hate. Also has a protein skimmer.
I want to get rid of the filter socks so I am gonna have to incorperate some type of particulate filter. I will also be adding a refugium with extra live rock and macroalgae.

way not just run the water through some filter floss before entering the sump? itll do the job and wont take up a ton of space like a wet/dry or trickle? as long as you have that refugium in there with macroalgae you should be good to go:)

way not just run the water through some filter floss before entering the sump? itll do the job and wont take up a ton of space like a wet/dry or trickle? as long as you have that refugium in there with macroalgae you should be good to go:)

Thats what I have in mind is sending the water thru filter media as it enters the sump. Then from there to refugium and from there the skimmer then last will be picked up by sump pump to be sent back to main aquarium. I just wanted to make a small area to incorporate the media that will be easy access and but protected from my 4 legged critters and kids. My 4 year old likes to steal the media if its not enclosed and my cats for some reason like to play in the water flow out of the pipe if its not covered. Thats why I was thinking trickle down that way I can atleast hide the media lol

oh my lol. id try to house the skimmer before the refugium, skimmers have a nasty habit of sucking up any critters (snails, crabs, pods, etc) that fit into its input nozzle. running it before the refuigum will allow you to cultivate critters without fear of them getting sucked into the skimmer.

Didnt think about the skimmer before refugium! Good point.. That will be reorganized lol thanks for pointing that out.

Back
Top Bottom