Making the move to co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmroberts1000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Several failed attempts at a 'decent' planted tank. This is the set up as of now, I want to make the jump to co2 as well as the ferts/root tabs I am using. It's a 55g, I've done diy before, too much hassle, I just want a simple, not to expensive set up. Can't seem to find complete 'plug & go' systems online, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431468792.008530.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431468792.008530.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 105
Hey bud,doesn't look as if you've failed at all..what lighting are you using&how long do you run them?

sit in silence

It'll be cheaper to just piece it together.

Find a local brewery shop, welders supply, airgas, etc. to price out co2 tanks and what the refills would be. I'd go with a 5lbs cylinder at least just to give you a lot of time between having to refill.

A reliable cheaper regulator/solenoid is an Aquatek premium or you can just look around at reviews for others. I use the Aquatek. I think it was like $90 or $100 on Amazon.

Other than that you'll need a drop checker, I use the cal aqua pearl drop checker which was expensive. You can find different glass ones or plastic ones for under $10 on Amazon or eBay, most come with the indicator solution you need but if they don't you'll need to get the 4dkh solution.

Get a bubble counter, again, depending on the regulator/solenoid you go with it should come with one but you may want to get a more reliable one.

You'll need a diffuser or reactor or however you want to disperse the co2 into the tank.

Get the co2 tubing and some check valves and you should be all set.

I think when I put mine together it cost probably $350-$400, but I went with a 10lbs tank and some more expensive pieces such as my bubble counter and drop checker. You could probably get away with about a $200-$250 complete setup.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have an Aquatek paintball system.

Got everything on Amazon and filled the tanks locally.

Spent around $150 minus the co2 tanks.

-co2 tanks
-diffuser
-regulator
-airline hosing
-bubble counter
-drop checker

Not hard to set up at all. Unlike Nigel I have plastic bubble counter and stuff so it was cheaper.

Caleb

I have an Aquatek paintball system.

Got everything on Amazon and filled the tanks locally.

Spent around $150 minus the co2 tanks.

-co2 tanks
-diffuser
-regulator
-airline hosing
-bubble counter
-drop checker

Not hard to set up at all. Unlike Nigel I have plastic bubble counter and stuff so it was cheaper.

Caleb

Thanks for the suggestions

It'll be cheaper to just piece it together.

Find a local brewery shop, welders supply, airgas, etc. to price out co2 tanks and what the refills would be. I'd go with a 5lbs cylinder at least just to give you a lot of time between having to refill.

A reliable cheaper regulator/solenoid is an Aquatek premium or you can just look around at reviews for others. I use the Aquatek. I think it was like $90 or $100 on Amazon.

Other than that you'll need a drop checker, I use the cal aqua pearl drop checker which was expensive. You can find different glass ones or plastic ones for under $10 on Amazon or eBay, most come with the indicator solution you need but if they don't you'll need to get the 4dkh solution.

Get a bubble counter, again, depending on the regulator/solenoid you go with it should come with one but you may want to get a more reliable one.

You'll need a diffuser or reactor or however you want to disperse the co2 into the tank.

Get the co2 tubing and some check valves and you should be all set.

I think when I put mine together it cost probably $350-$400, but I went with a 10lbs tank and some more expensive pieces such as my bubble counter and drop checker. You could probably get away with about a $200-$250 complete setup.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!

Have you considered upgrading your lighting? T8's over your 55g are gonna be able to grow low light plants at best..the addition of pressurized co2 in this case would be almost completely unnecessary...not saying it wouldn't be beneficial but there's definitely room for improvement equipment wise....

sit in silence

Have you considered upgrading your lighting? T8's over your 55g are gonna be able to grow low light plants at best..the addition of pressurized co2 in this case would be almost completely unnecessary...not saying it wouldn't be beneficial but there's definitely room for improvement equipment wise....

Upgrade to t5? I would prefer that than investing in a co2 set up, slow growth rate isn't a problem just want them looking lush & green and to be fair the last time I tried planted I had the lights on for 12 hours, major algae issues, now I have a 10 hour regime which so far seems to be working

Upgrade to t5? I would prefer that than investing in a co2 set up, slow growth rate isn't a problem just want them looking lush & green and to be fair the last time I tried planted I had the lights on for 12 hours, major algae issues, now I have a 10 hour regime which so far seems to be working

8 Hours a day is really best. Divided 4-break-4 so it's not a constant thing for 8 hours. Most plants do not even require co2. You are much better off upgrading your bulb first then looking at ferts/co2.

Caleb

8 Hours a day is really best. Divided 4-break-4 so it's not a constant thing for 8 hours. Most plants do not even require co2. You are much better off upgrading your bulb first then looking at ferts/co2.

Caleb

I'm trying to work out what bulbs I have, is this a t8 or 5? It's quite thin

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431532327.547776.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431532327.547776.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 62
It's usually written on the bulb. If not I'm assuming a T8. Going to try and look up the bulb specs from what ican see.

Caleb

By the brand/name of the bulb and the wattage I'm pretty sure it's a T5

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431533207.673820.jpg

If this is not enough light is recommend a second bulb.

Caleb

Don't think the co2 was needed

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433440459.347653.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433440459.347653.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom