Male guppies keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marty01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings folks! Got a problem that's probably been answered b4 but....My indoor tank is a 50 lt with built in filtration. I use only rain water collected from the roof to fill. I have substantial amount of fox tail plants planted. Problem started bout year ago. Had 16 m @fm guppies that maintained good fry stocks. Then they started to die. First juveniles then males then females. Bought new guppies and the males died within 2 weeks followed by females. Thought " problem here" so dismantled system and disinfected everything (including plants) ( warm soapy water--- weak bleach----- thorough rinse). Cycled for several weeks then added new fish from different pet store. 3 +. 4m. That was 9 weeks ago. FM are pregnant but will not give birth. 4 males went belly up within 2 weeks. Put in 2 more males 13 days ago and 1 died within days so last week i did a 80% water change (rain water). I took out other male this morning. I did notice also that the girls are not so active as they have been.
Tank parameters are:
Ammonia. Zero. Nitrogen. Zero. pH 7.9. Circulation: Rapid. Air: Small air stone. Temp: 24.9
I am heavily into Aquaponics and have RB Trout in tanks outside. Not had any problems with them.

Summary: girls don't give birth; blokes keep dying
Conclusion: STOP WITH THE GUPPIES!!

Any ideas???

Just a thought but is something contaminating your rainwater? I have recently had bad luck with guppies as well. Good Luck!!

You say nitrogen zero.. did you mean nitrite or nitrate ? Do you use the same water source for the trout ? If so, not likely a contaminated roof, though since the tank is smaller, perhaps a toxin is more concentrated in it than in the trout pond ?

Plus plants sequester many toxins, taking them up into their roots, such as some heavy metals, so the mere fact you are running aquaponics might be why the trout are ok. I'm about to start a very small scale aquaponic set up on both my tanks inside. Just troughs on the back, but I"m looking forward to being able to get some fresh herbs at least, with marginal plants making up most of it.

Maybe, try tap water to see if it makes a difference ? Just have to dechlorinate it. I know, costs more, but so does replacing fish.. though I've no real idea what water costs where you are.

You say nitrogen zero.. did you mean nitrite or nitrate ? Do you use the same water source for the trout ? If so, not likely a contaminated roof, though since the tank is smaller, perhaps a toxin is more concentrated in it than in the trout pond ?

Plus plants sequester many toxins, taking them up into their roots, such as some heavy metals, so the mere fact you are running aquaponics might be why the trout are ok. I'm about to start a very small scale aquaponic set up on both my tanks inside. Just troughs on the back, but I"m looking forward to being able to get some fresh herbs at least, with marginal plants making up most of it.

Maybe, try tap water to see if it makes a difference ? Just have to dechlorinate it. I know, costs more, but so does replacing fish.. though I've no real idea what water costs where you are.

Same rainwater feeds all. No dead beasties in RW tank. Nitrate/Nitrite zero. Yeh Aquaponics is great!! Originally started with the guppies to feed to my native fish till they started to take prepared diet.....then they started dying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom