Male or Female Convict?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know if my convict is male or female? I've looked it up online and seems to display some qualities of both.

38387-albums1719-picture14090.jpg

38387-albums1719-picture14089.jpg

I think it's a super rare Heshe(a joke) convict, but by those pictures I'm leaning towards female. Cons are getting harder and harder to tell with all the constant inbreeding going on...in general the females have orange on their stomachs and the males have long flowing finage...it's a female.

Last edited:
Wow. What is a Heshe convict?

It's strange, but with every week that goes by, the convict has new colors and traits. You can see the bright yellow on the tail, which appeared pretty recently. I got the convict in April and estimate its about 5 - 6 months old. I'm curious if it will develop further.

Looks male except for the orange spots... Thats a female..

Hmmm... I think it is definitely female although, similar to the Heshe variation HUKIT spoke of, it may also be of the Shim variant of Convict (Amatitlania nigrofasciata Shim) ;)

gonna say girl - although I wish you got a good shot of the end of the Dorsal fin just to clinch it.

Yeah I know. I tried taking about 30 pictures and could not get a good shot of the end dorsel fin. The convict is extremely camera shy for some reason!

yeah prolly female - FWIW, wild caught convicts and the F1s show some amazing colors which vary considerably by collection site - I've seen some males with unbelievable colors. Likewise - raising them outside in the sun seems to color them up like crazy - this does fade over time. Many times I pulled out fry from rather drab parents where both sexes showed amazing colors after the 4 month pond season here in NE.

Back
Top Bottom