Male or female convicts at a young age?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adkjoe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there any way to tell male from female convicts when they are young? Do you just buy two and hope your lucky one is male and one is female. I would like to get a pair, I already have one baby I'm not sure the sex though and would like to add another of the opposite sex, so how can I tell? thanks!

Can't without venting while they are young. Most people will get a few and wait til a pair develops and then get rid of the rest.

How long does it take to tell? I'm guessing the easiest way is to see which turn out to have an orange belly and which do not?

adkjoe said:
How long does it take to tell? I'm guessing the easiest way is to see which turn out to have an orange belly and which do not?

It doesn't take long for them to pair sometimes. I have an adult male and bought a juvenile female and the paired in a day she started laying eggs two days later. She was only about a half inch if that in length, how ever she already had her orange belly

ForumRunner_20121023_091001.jpg

wow...That's about how big mine is now ~3/4" I'm thinking of adding another but maybe I should wait and see what sex the one I have now is.

Back
Top Bottom