Male or Female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corn_pea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Reddit said my ram is female, but now it’s been a week and I’m questioning if she’s a he. She chases the other male around a lot IMG_0104.jpgIMG_0105.JPGIMG_0106.JPGIMG_0107.JPG

One of the ways to determine gender of Rams is the first 3 spines of the dorsal fin. In males, they those are usually longer than females. The problem becomes if these spines get damaged during collection or shipping or fighting, etc. To me, the dorsal fin on your fish looks like a female but the belly looks like either a non gravid female or a male.
For now, I'd just make sure there are plenty of places for the fish to hide from each other. In time, they will figure it out. In my experience, chasing is not an unusual happening for Rams.

One of the ways to determine gender of Rams is the first 3 spines of the dorsal fin. In males, they those are usually longer than females. The problem becomes if these spines get damaged during collection or shipping or fighting, etc. To me, the dorsal fin on your fish looks like a female but the belly looks like either a non gravid female or a male.
For now, I'd just make sure there are plenty of places for the fish to hide from each other. In time, they will figure it out. In my experience, chasing is not an unusual happening for Rams.

What confuses me is that she does look non gravid but is showing mating behavior according to other people. I guess only time will tell

The problem is that there are no natural electric blue rams; they are line bred and the typical indicators are sometime bred out of the fishes (i.e, females are bred to look like males).
-
For gold and gbr color morph the pink belly is the solid indicator; for eb colour morph the pink belly is sometime masked making it very difficult to tell for sure. imho eb rams are harder to sex than angels.

Having said this the traditional fin arrangement increases the odds of a correct guess just that with some instances they become false markers.

Looking at these photos, it looks female. But if it's still young, it could also be a male. Young males tend to look like females. But I'm referring to the finnage of this specimen. And at this moment, I'd say female.

Looking at these photos, it looks female. But if it's still young, it could also be a male. Young males tend to look like females. But I'm referring to the finnage of this specimen. And at this moment, I'd say female.

recently they’ve been “dancing” if you want I can send you a video. The female stopped chasing the male around and he has been chasing her now. He is also pecking at her face and she just takes it she doesn’t even try to do it back or swim away.

Back
Top Bottom