Malnourished Bala Shark PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaeroo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a Bala Shark in my 55g family tank and he has had cloudy eyes for awhile that was greatly effecting his eyesight. This caused him to starve because he couldn't see the food. I got Melafix (I think that's how you spell it) and his eyes are getting much better. Unfortunately the poor thing is weak and wasting away and his tank mates don't care that his eyesight sucks so he doesn't get the right amount of food he should. I have a 10g planted tank with 1 kuhli loach (nothing else) and was wondering if I can quarantine him there until he's back to normal health? Please respond asap this guy is not looking good:(! Thanks.

How often you change water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For which tank? I do 20-30% each week for both of the tanks. Do you think I can quarantine him in the 10g?

You could QT it in a 10g but it would be extremely stressful for the fish. I would recommend increasing your WC's to at least 40-50% every week as well as doing some more research on keeping Bala's. They really require a minimum of at least 3 in a group AND 70g tank. With the potential to reach up to 16", it won't have much room to spin around in a 12" wide tank should it live to its life expectancy.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

You could QT it in a 10g but it would be extremely stressful for the fish. I would recommend increasing your WC's to at least 40-50% every week as well as doing some more research on keeping Bala's. They really require a minimum of at least 3 in a group AND 70g tank. With the potential to reach up to 16", it won't have much room to spin around in a 12" wide tank should it live to its life expectancy.

Thank you for your opinion. However, I had four and as they got larger gave them to someone with a much larger tank. The Bala shark I currently have didn't go with the rest of them because he started to get cloudy eyes. I chose to try to get him back to good health before giving him away. I was afraid it would be way too stressful for him to be transported while sick. Also, I do so much research on everything before getting it, like its not even funny lol xD

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you use a Turkey Baster to target feed him frozen food ?

I defrost frozen food in a cup of tank water and then suck it up with a turkey baster, or use flakes in a cup of water and suck it up and feed him directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This could be a couple of things...

-Cloudy cornea can result from a bacterial invasion. Antibiotics can help

-Opaqueness can result from poor nutrition or a metacercaria invasion (grubs). Try foods with added vitamins and changing the diet to include variety.

-Pop eye can result from rough handling, gas embolism, tumors, bacterial infection, or vitamin A deficiency. Gas bubble or bacterial infection can be treated successfully with penicillin or amoxicillin.

-Blindness can be caused by poor nutrition or excessive light. Lowering the light level and a change of diet to include lots of variety may help prevent it.

Let me know how he does!

Thank you for your opinion. However, I had four and as they got larger gave them to someone with a much larger tank. The Bala shark I currently have didn't go with the rest of them because he started to get cloudy eyes. I chose to try to get him back to good health before giving him away. I was afraid it would be way too stressful for him to be transported while sick. Also, I do so much research on everything before getting it, like its not even funny lol xD

I assume from that he has gotten to a decent size(?) so kind of thinking not going to work. However if not moving around much as sick, maybe you can do it. Depends if he will dart off and smack into the QT wall.

Is the cloudy eye the only problem? If just weak, maybe a temporary plastic tub and lots of water changes.

Thank you for your opinion.

Also, I do so much research on everything before getting it, like its not even funny lol xD

Sure, no problem. Some of it was opinion and some was fact. Like 70g tank as opposed to 55. Hope it all works out.

Back
Top Bottom