marbled crayfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brodey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a marbled crayfish at big als about three months ago. When I got her she had eggs but dropped them after being put in the new tank (im guessing because she felt threatened) the tank is 20g clean water and around 70-77 degrees and she has no tank mates. I use sand and have made about 4 caves for her. (Will make more when fry come along) I feed her cucumbers blood worms and fish flakes to keep variety and she seems to love it all. She is about 3" and seems healthy and has molted once since I got her about a month ago. Anyone have any idea why after three months shes not having any more eggs? Does it normally take this long or am I the one person on the planet who cant breed the "uncontrollable marbled crayfish" lol any marbled crayfish advice related or unrelated to this would be appreciated. using her to feed three green spotted puffers and a tank of about 15 cichlids... eventually

on another note, if i DO get over run with them is it safe to eat this species with some kind of crayfish boil? i have eaten crayfish before but not this kind. i figured it would be a good plan for population control but i havnt found anything about it on the internet i wanna make sure its safe

on another note, if i DO get over run with them is it safe to eat this species with some kind of crayfish boil? i have eaten crayfish before but not this kind. i figured it would be a good plan for population control but i havnt found anything about it on the internet i wanna make sure its safe

I dont know why you dont have eggs... however the advice I can give you. COVER THE TANK! I had one that escaped.
Also I would recomend you leave the eating to the fish. Some aquarium chemicals are unsafe for us people.

Good point. Never thought of the chemicals of the water compared to wild caught. I guess I'll have to sell them or something. If I ever get any that is. Is there some kind of special food I can buy to get it going?

Good point. Never thought of the chemicals of the water compared to wild caught. I guess I'll have to sell them or something. If I ever get any that is. Is there some kind of special food I can buy to get it going?

I dont think soo....

i certainly think they would be as safe to eat as any other crayfish. For my part, I have been thinking about eating the extras as long as they have grown to size that is.

Back
Top Bottom