Marbled Hatchet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have experience with the Marbled Hatchetfish? I am thinking about trying them....

What about them are you wondering? I like them. They stay at the upper level or suface. They are schoolers but will jump if startled so a lid is a good idea. They like some floating plants which helps keep them calmer.

I would like to know how many of them to get so a strong school would be in my tank. I have a 30 gallon

A lot depends on your current stock. You need a minimum of 6 but 12 is better. What other fish and how many do you have now?

I have 4 Rosy Barbs, 5 Congo Tetras, 4 Peppermint Tetras, 5 Cory Cats, and 2 Panda Garra

That is really over crowded. The congos and rosy barbs need a bigger tank.

Both the Rosey Barbs and Congos can get to 5-6" and really do need a larger tank in their adult size. So right now with your stock you don't have room for any more fish, sorry.

Actually the Congos fit well and I have smaller Rosy Barbs (Their called Glass Rosy Barbs). My tank water is crystal clear and I have no problems. I have read the ammonia and nitrate levels and they are excellent.

What are the parameters? Also, the fish will continue to grow so even if they fit now they will get bigger.

The ammonia level is at 0 and the Nitrate level is above 0 but below 5. I would say the nitrate level is at about 2 or 3.

The ammonia level is at 0 and the Nitrate level is above 0 but below 5. I would say the nitrate level is at about 2 or 3.

If you have a nitrite reading then you are not finished cycling and shouldn't add any more fish.
If people with decades of fish keeping experience are telling you not to add more fish, and that your tank is not big enough for certain species, then I think you'd do better to ask why, rather than just disagree with them.

Even if you were fully cycled with perfect parameters and no overcrowding or territorial issues, you could still destroy all of that by adding more fish.

If you have a nitrite reading then you are not finished cycling and shouldn't add any more fish.
If people with decades of fish keeping experience are telling you not to add more fish, and that your tank is not big enough for certain species, then I think you'd do better to ask why, rather than just disagree with them.

Even if you were fully cycled with perfect parameters and no overcrowding or territorial issues, you could still destroy all of that by adding more fish.

I have read that the Congo Tetras can live in 30 gallons and I only have 3 males and 2 females. The peppermint tetras are small along with the catfish I have. The Rosy Barbs that I have are a hybrid of Gold and Rosy Barbs and are smaller than the "normal" Rosy Barb. Most of my fish are full grown so I don't see how I couldn't add more fish? I not trying to argue with you people. I'm just trying to give you information about the fish in my tank.

Its your tank and you can do what you want but not everything you read on the net is correct. Usually sites list a minimum size fish can exist in but that doesn't take into consideration other fish in the tank and even their adult size and how many of them you keep. Your going to do what you want and you obviously want confirmation that it's okay but IMO it is not a good idea. Keeping a fish tank isn't about seeing how many fish can be crammed into it. It's about providing a good environment for them to live in, which means the species being kept has space which keeps stress levels down and provides a healthier environment.

He said nitrate, not nitrite.

That being said, anytime you take a living creature into your care, the goal should not be surviving, it should be thriving. Having unhappy animals kind of defeats the beauty of it, no?

No, I gave one Nitrate reading. I just had to guess it with the color card I had.

My mistake. Do you have a nitrite reading?

What I meant in my earlier post is that if your tank is balanced, and all the inhabitants are happy, then why risk causing problems with potential overcrowding (esp with congos- mine are still growing after a year)and the associated behaviour and chemistry problems that can go with a heavily stocked tank?

I understand and I will consider my options. I didn't do a nitrite reading, but I will do one in the future.

Back
Top Bottom