Marineland magnum 350 question about carbon media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have been reading a lot of different opinions about the carbon used in this filter. Instruction have said to replace the carbon monthly. Some people say to only replace half.

I was wondering if there are people out there that have the same filter and what they use in it.

I was also looking at the marineland filter balls.

Here are some pics of what I found.
If someone can tell me what I should be using and or what they use and have been happy with

Oh I'm currently using the carbon media. And im still in the process of my Fishless cycle

This is what I have in my filter now

I filled mine with EHEIM substratpro. I no longer use it for normal filtration. It's just not that good of a filter as it does not hold very much medium.

I would use it over a HOB, but it will never compare to a normal canister filter.

rkilling1 said:
I filled mine with EHEIM substratpro. I no longer use it for normal filtration. It's just not that good of a filter as it does not hold very much medium.

I would use it over a HOB, but it will never compare to a normal canister filter.

Does the EHEIM subsrratepro have to be changed often. Or do you just rinse and reuse ?

Cichlid Kid said:
Friend of mine has a mag.350 and doesn't run any carbon at all she uses ceramic bio rings instead.

The ceramic bio rings I was looking at. They just have to be rinsed and reused and only changed when falling apart right ?

rkilling1 said:

What's HOB stand for?

rkilling1 said:
Just like most other biomedia, just rinse it off and put it back in the filter.

Do you think I should use the EHEIM substrate pro? Or what do you think about the marineland bio balls or ceramic rings ?

Convict2161 said:
Hang on back. HOB

Oh so like the marineland penguin 350. I was thinking about getting one of those too. Someone told me that that would be overkill for my 60 gallon tank. What do you think ?

Oh so like the marineland penguin 350. I was thinking about getting one of those too. Someone told me that that would be overkill for my 60 gallon tank. What do you think ?

Since you are asking our opinions, I would get an eheim pro 3. I will never use a HOB filter again. They are made for people who don't know much about aquariums and just want something that is quick and easy. (only my opinion of course.)

Overkill? putting an xp4 on a 10 gallon is overkill. Any less then that is just additional filtration.

rkilling1 said:
Since you are asking our opinions, I would get an eheim pro 3. I will never use a HOB filter again. They are made for people who don't know much about aquariums and just want something that is quick and easy. (only my opinion of course.)

Overkill? putting an xp4 on a 10 gallon is overkill. Any less then that is just additional filtration.

Man those are expensive.
I would love to get one some day.
But for now I guess I'll just have to live with what I have and find the right media to put in it.

Man those are expensive.
I would love to get one some day.
But for now I guess I'll just have to live with what I have and find the right media to put in it.

For the budget minded comsumer (aren't we all), I would get a RENA XP3 or 4. I have the XP2 on my 28 gallon and it performs well.

Of course there are many knock offs that perform just as well.

rkilling1 said:
For the budget minded comsumer (aren't we all), I would get a RENA XP3 or 4. I have the XP2 on my 28 gallon and it performs well.

Of course there are many knock offs that perform just as well.

Well I'm not going to be buying a new filter any time soon.

So as far as the filter I currently have. Your recommendation is to use the substrate pro in it vs using the carbon media right ?
What about the marineland bio balls or the ceramics. Would you recommend those as well?

Is this the Magnum 350 HOB or true canister? I ran the 350 canister type for about a month. I just ran it with floss and ceramic rings. I never run AC in any of my tanks.

I'm thinking of using the ceramic rings in the canister. Should I also still use the blue mesh around the cartridge ?

Yes, I used the blue floss and ceramic rings. I had problems with mine leaking and bought a Fluval 406, what a difference! :)

meegosh said:
Yes, I used the blue floss and ceramic rings. I had problems with mine leaking and bought a Fluval 406, what a difference! :)

Thank you for you input. I think that's what I'm going to do. I've had no leaking problems.

Back
Top Bottom