Marineland Penguin 350 shut itself off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echoDreamz

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is a brand new filter, been running great for about 3 days straight, came home and did not hear the water from the wheels. I noticed it was completely shutoff. Was not pumping water, nothing. The water around the pump was very warm, and also the area above the pump was warm as well. I took out the impeller - there was no damage, I placed it back in, plugged the unit back in and it ran for about 15 seconds (just long enough to create the siphon) and stopped. I checked for anything stuck or sucked up into it, but there is nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

It started back up and it is running now, but I am concerned as to why it stopped in the first place...

I recommend contacting Marineland directly over the phone and explain the situation. I had a malfunctioning Penguin 200 and they overnighted a replacement to me for no charge.

I did earlier, my wait time was "Greater than 45 minutes" so I was not going to hold a phone to my head for 45+ minutes :)

Actually, this is the exact opposite of the my encounter with them. Of course, I made sure to call first thing in the morning, since MarineLand is a subsidiary of a much larger company (United Pet Group), I'm sure their 800-number is centralized, and you're stuck in the queue with people calling about one of their other product lines.

I can PM you the contact information of a CSR I worked directly with if you don't have any luck getting through to them.

I ended up leaving a message - though I doubt I will receive a callback :)

Sure, please PM their information!

I have her email in my Gmail, which I don't have access to from work (gotta love firewalls). When I get home tonight, I will send you the info.

Edit: Found it...will PM in a second..

Also, try putting some Vaseline (plain stuff, nothing fancy) around the magnet of the impeller and on the axle...that silenced both of my 200s. I just have to re-apply every 4 months or so.

Thankfully it has been running like a champ since. I emailed her and she said contact her if it does it again. Still not sure why it did that. And mine is completely silent aside from the water sounds.

Thankfully it has been running like a champ since. I emailed her and she said contact her if it does it again. Still not sure why it did that. And mine is completely silent aside from the water sounds.

Awesome, good to hear. The 350 won't fit on my tank because of a stabilizer bar in the middle, so I have 2 x 200's on mine instead. Turns out the noise was primarily a noisy air pump that I am in the process of replacing (Azoo 5500 or 6500, thoughts?)...

This isn't too uncommon of a problem with power filters. (I was in the pet trade for about 10 years, and I had every major brand do it at least once.) It's likely that something jammed the impeller. It could have been a piece of carbon, some plant material, whatever. Since the motor is still trying to make the impeller magnet turn, but it can't, heat builds up and will cause the plastic or epoxy around the motor to swell, excacerbating the problem. It can get so bad as to scar the impeller. I had several of the first generation HOT Magnum impeller magnets swell and split. Sometimes we couldn't even get the impellers out of the motors to replace the parts. (This is pretty much the only model I've ever seen get this bad. I remember the rep explained to me that the impeller magnets on these were a rare earth magnet that seemed to be more prone to this kind of wear and tear. Not sure if that was true at all, but that's what he told me.)

It sounds like when you first removed the impeller, it dislodged the debris, but I bet there was still some swelling, causing the quick shut off. Eventually, everything cooled down enough to return to normal.

There's no real prevention for this. Just make sure when you do your tank maintenance you remove the impeller and get any debris out of the hole where the impeller sits and remove any plant material from the impeller shaft. Also, be sure to check after any power outage that the filters come back on. That seems to be the worst time for it to happen in my experience. If you have a filter (or pump for that matter) jam, try to let it cool before you plug it back in. It seems like having the motor plugged in while the impeller is jammed causes the magnet to lose its charge, making it more likely you'll need to replace the impeller.

Back
Top Bottom