Matrix Media Order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Have 2 x Aqua One Nautilus 2700 and getting a FX6.

Wanting to replace 2 baskets in the 2700’s with Matrix (and the other 2 with coarse and fine foam) and will finish with a few hundred ml or Macropore White (Purigen but cheaper).

Wanting to do the same with the FX6 but as I haven’t got it yet I can’t figure out the amount of Matrix I need.

Has anyone replaced the media with Matrix in these filters and knows how much I need?

Yes, I replaced a whole tray in my FX-5 and can't recall exactly..... looked it up and

Quoted from Fluval for the FX-6
The baskets can hold a total of 5.9 litres of media and can be stacked in the precise combination of layers that will work best for your aquarium.

I think that amount would be divided by 3 baskets - has 3 correct?

Yes, I replaced a whole tray in my FX-5 and can't recall exactly..... looked it up and

Quoted from Fluval for the FX-6
The baskets can hold a total of 5.9 litres of media and can be stacked in the precise combination of layers that will work best for your aquarium.

I think that amount would be divided by 3 baskets - has 3 correct?

So with the FX5/6 the foam is around the outside and then the baskets just contain the biological and chemical media? If that’s the case I’ll do 2 with Matrix and then one with carbon and purigen.

The 2700‘s have 4 baskets so I’ll probably do 2 each on them. Looks like I’ll need about 8 litres.

The baskets are pretty big but you get good circulation if you aren't over filling it. It doesn't work right if you do, lol.
I feel like it would hold 5 to 6 cups of media. Maybe my 1 gallon pitcher half full which - not sure transition from gallon amount but that is about 4 liters of liquid, lol.

If I rinse out my filter tomorrow I will check how much a tray holds.

Back
Top Bottom