Mbuna species feedback for new 75 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakep

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! I'm new posting to the forum, but I've been doing lots of reading and watching videos. I am looking for some feedback concerning species I'm considering for my new mbuna setup. Realizing every situation is different, here is my tank specs and what I have in mind.

It's a 75 gallon Oceanic glass aquarium with standard dimensions (48"x18"x21"). I've got 260 pounds of Oklahoma creek rocks stacked up filling a good 2/3 of the tank. I'm also using a sand substrate about 2-3" deep. Filtration includes an Oceanic trickle filter, plus I'm adding an Eheim 2075 for extra filtration. The tank is currently in the first week of a fishless cycle using ammonia from Ace Hardware. Video of the tank is on you tube at: Update #2: Mbuna 75 gallon setup. - YouTube

I'm definitely interested in stocking the following species which should give a nice contrast in colors:

12 - Demasoni
8 - Red Zebra

I was wondering if you guys might have some feedback about my setup with these species and numbers? Additionally, any suggestions for a third compatible species?

I figured I'd end up with 30-40 juveniles for the first year, then sell a few as needed when they grow and can be sexed, perhaps ending up with ~25 mature fish.

Lastly, would you recommend stocking all fish at once since I should have a strongly cycled tank going the fishless ammonia route? If not, which species order first to last?

Thank you so much for any insight you can offer!

Those are good choices. For a dark species, you could add pseudotropheus elegans itungi "black acei", for a light one, pseudotropheus socolofi " Snow White".

I have red zebra with yellow labs and don't particularly like the color contrast.

Back
Top Bottom