Melafix safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at my lfs and one of my fish has a bacterial infection or something like that. I trust the person I spoke with there. My worry is I have ghost shrimp and African dwarf frogs in the tank. Does anyone know if it's safe to use with those still in the aquarium?

Thanks

ddodad said:
I was at my lfs and one of my fish has a bacterial infection or something like that. I trust the person I spoke with there. My worry is I have ghost shrimp and African dwarf frogs in the tank. Does anyone know if it's safe to use with those still in the aquarium?

Thanks

Nope you need to quarantine that fish and treat it before it infects other fish too. Employees at lfs usually always give terrible advice

I don't have an extra tank o quarantine the fish in. I figure I'll medicate the whole tank and hope for the best. Y question was about the shrimp and frogs not the fish thanks

Hi! You mentioned a 'bacterial infection or something'- adding any type of chemical to your tank when you dont know what you are treating it not a wise move or if its even safe for all inhabinents. Melafx will do little more than what healthy water is capable of accomplishing. You need to figure what exactly you are dealing with before considering any course of appropriate treatment. Melafix will also not help if you have a actual bacterial infection. Your tank parameters, stocking, water change schedule and pics/a good description of the issue will help to figure out what you may be dealing with. :)

Melafix is useless. Primafix will work better, but probably best used as a prevanative. There are lots of Antibiotics on the market, Maracyn-2, ampicillin, Tetracycline. But if its just one fish sick i would not treat the whole tank, just a waste of good medicine. What kind of fish you got?

Back
Top Bottom