Mexican oak leaf and micro sword info needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia258

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was hoping to buy these two plants for my freshwater aquarium. I'd like them to be explained to me do I don't go into this blindly:

How do they reproduce?
What kind of nutrients do they need?
Will fish eat them?
Do they have any other special requirements?

More questions:

How wide/tall do they grow?
How fast do they grow?
Do any kinds of fish eat them?
How sturdy are they?

I hope someone on here knows the answer :)

I was actually just reading about micro swords yesterday because I wanted to make a carpet in the tank with them but I read that they grow really slowly so I decided to get some hairgrass instead as I have been reading that it grows a lot quicker.

This is what I just found in a quick google search on the oak leaf:

Plant Information: Scientific Name: Shinnersia rivularis Plant Positioning: Midground Lighting(watts/gal.): 2.5-3.5 Temperature (F): 73-83 Environment: Amphibious PH: Neutral 7 Distribution: Texas and Mexico Reproduction: Cuttings Hardiness: Medium
Also known as ''Mexican Oak Leaf'' owing to its oak-shaped foliage. In
aquariums Shinnersia rivularis probably grows faster than any other
plant, although it is generally found as a marsh plant in the wild. The distance
between leaves is great if the light is poor, and the length of the leaves
depends directly on the light intensity. Easy to propagate by side shoots or
cuttings, which should be cut off and planted in the bottom.

Micro sword:

The Micro Sword, sometimes called Copragrass, is a great plant for beginners and seasoned aquarium keepers alike. An attractive bottom covering plant with long light green grass-like leaves, it will spread out in thick carpet of grass. The Micro Sword will make an excellent spawning medium, as well as a great foreground plant. This species is amphibious, and will thrive either partially or fully submersed.
The Micro Sword can be housed in water from 70°-83°F, with a neutral pH. This species appreciates a soft substrate that is rich in fertilizer. Provide the plant with moderate lighting of 2 watts per gallon or more, in the color temperature of 5000 to 7000 Kelvin.

The Micro Sword propagates from the many runners that will branch off the root area. It grows exceptionally fast, and will quickly cover the bottom of the tank

That says they grow really quickly but like I said almost all the sites I was reading about them say they grow really slowly. Hope that helped!

It did help! My mind is made up that I'll get them! Thanks for the great info!!! :)

Yeah I guess googling is nice, but I always get repetitive info on there. So I usually ask on here ^^

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom