MH or T5 for 40g breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninwoof

Aquarium Advice Activist
another question about lighting!!!
i plan on making a 40g breeder low tech planted tank. no co2, and low ferts. i was thinking about 1x96 watt t5 light or 1x70 MH light. christmas is comming up, and i know i want lighting, but what would suite the long length of the tank better?
plz chime in if you have any exp with eether lighting setups!!

Regular T5 or T5HO? I'm assuming HO....which wouldn't be low light. I don't think that MH light would be low light either. Just putting that out there.

Regular T5 would be more like medium light with 96w IMO.

never said low light, just low tech. so that i dont need to dose or add co2. im trying to stay right out of co2 range.

ugh. i know i will not have to use co2 and i will not have to do too much fert-ing. im wondering if 70 watts of MH is greater than 2x39 watt t-5 HO or 1x96 watt compact flouresant. As you can see in http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/plans-for-a-40g-breeder-107618.html i already have plans for what plants, fish filter exc. but my question is on my lighting for the 40 gallon breeder. the tanks dimensions are 36x18x17, and have read that MH can create hot spots and not reach shaded areas, but with the benifet of having a full spectrum and higher intensity lighting. the 2x39 watt t-5 lighting would reach all the way across the tank, reaching all spots having very little shade. it also has a fan in the unit to keep it cool. the 1x96 watts of compact flouresants has the same advanteges although i read that CF isnt as bright as MH or T-5

soooooooooooo
should i go with 70 watts of MH lighting
2 39 watt t-5 bulbs
1 96 watt CF

The CF is just a T5 bent in half, the output per watts will be comparable, but T5's can be better placed in a reflector, so with a good reflector, you will get more light out of the T5.

I'd go with the T-5. You have more choice in bulbs, spectrum, etc. And if you find you have too much light, you can always turn one off (or use a lower W bulb) - assuming you have an electronic load sensing ballast.

Back
Top Bottom