MH Pendants Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now I have 460w of cf on my 75g. I was debating if I should get a MH hood or the pendants. Then I got to thinking when I upgrade, I would have to sell the hood, and buy another to fit the new tank. If I bought pendants to start with, all I would have to do is maybe buy another pendant.

Is this assumption correct?

Pro's and cons of the pendant?

TIA!! :D

THe hoods have Actinics built intt it as well as cooling fans. The pendants need supplemental actincs unless you gou with a 14K or 20K bulb. THe hood does limit you to one particular tank size where as the pendants can be transfered from small tank to big tank rather easily.

Sorry I am a dummy, but how do you add the antics? If the pendants are hanging in the way?

They make MH + actinic combo that can be hung like a pendant

My hood has a MH bulb+32w act03 and is hanging pendant style.
img_277891_0_548cc7b028632670abaa2ee61c495dfa.jpg

Thing is you cant upgrade the hood. How do you get the antics without the hood, or wont the antics be in the way of the pendants light?

Buy a VHO retro kit. PFO does make a pendant that has (2) 28 watt actincs in it.They are kind of exspensive though. Shoot me a PM if you want some options and price breakdowns.

revhtree said:
Thing is you cant upgrade the hood. How do you get the antics without the hood, or wont the antics be in the way of the pendants light?

Upgrade the hood how? I can upgrade my 150W MH to a 400W if I wanted. I can't upgrade my PC Act03 lights to a higher wattage because the PC tubes will be too long to fit in the hood.

The actinics do not block the MH bulbs. see pic
img_277990_0_190aabf20810a970b64006a2afabc9a0.jpg

I have used retro kits and attached them to the inside top of the canopy. This way if I ever change tanks, I can just unscrew a few screws and move the setup over to the new tank. If your canopy is plastic or you do not have a canopy to install inside of then it might not work. I have reconfigured mine many times, and I just run the actinics at a slightly lower level offset to the front and back so there is not interference.

BTW- Make sure that the actinic bulbs are not too close to the MH or they will have a shorter life and could explode form the heat.

Good luck. - This make sme want to buy a new tank and move my lights now! :mrgreen:

Yeah, MH bulbs can get real hot and that's why I run a fan in the hood blowing air in

Back
Top Bottom