Micro Fish that School?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently debating an upgrade for my 20g rimless. LOL It's just a thought but I was wondering what kind of micro sw fish school? I'm talking about fish 2" or smaller, preferably about 1 inch.

What comes to mind are neon gobies, they school don't they?

Kinda just testing the waters, see what choices I would have if I went bigger. I'm really liking the idea of a rimless tank full of corals with lots of activity in the water column from the darting of cute little fish all over the place. lol

No big fish will be allowed. ;-)

What do you guys think?

I love clown gobies. They don't hang out in the water column, but will be little wiggles darting here and there.

Do you think they could get along if I got more than two? I currently have a green and yellow one and they get along fine. In the best of scenarios I would like to add maybe 4 more. I'd like to stick with mostly gobies and blennies I think. But I'm open to any and all suggestions. :)

Even if I don't do the upgrade I think I will be adding to the 20g anyways so the suggestions won't go to waste. lol

I had a customer who had every color he could find in his 20 and it was going fine the last I heard from him. I think the only one I would avoid are the citron because they can get so big (and some are very dark, not very attractive).

hey, I have a citron! LOL He's still really yellow too, but yeah, I don't want fish that big in there. I want fish like the ones I have already. The 20g which would be the tank going into the new tank currently has: yellow and green clown gobies, barnacle blenny, fangtooth blenny (the biggest by far) and an engineer goby that I was planning on moving to the 125g when he got big enough, but if I upgrade from the 20g then I can keep him with the micros I would think.

I saw some of these this weekend Sharknose goby they are a lot like neon gobies but they do fine in small groups. I am pretty sure they were tank raised. Most all the fish there were.

+1 for Gobies -
I currently have:

1x Clown Goby Yellow
1x Clown Goby Green
1x Clown Goby Black

The Black one is a bully - not an aggressive bully, just a bully :)
He imposes himself on the others; sits on the all the time.

When they aren't resting on rock, they are hovering in the water column. I've seen the Black Goby resting on a snail while he was cleaning too - funny to watch.

They know when it's feeding time too - they always come out and say hello!

Carey, don't take this the wrong way, but I want to come to your house haha. How many tanks do you have? Lol must be awesome, a lot of work, but awesome.

To throw my 2 cents in, my LFS recently started getting shipments of neon gobys. I was thinking about getting a pair for my tank. They look nice and stay small. As far as schooling, not so much.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+194&pcatid=194

Back
Top Bottom