Microworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need some info on microworms and how to culture them. Ive heard they're easier than brine shrimp. Do you have to keep buying new microworms like bbs eggs or can you just keep the one culture you start? I'm a beginner to live foods so I really have no idea... Please help!

Here's how I do it. I use mashed potato flakes. Oatmeal is fine too. Lightly wet it in you plastic container so it is mushy but not totally soaked. Sprinkle some bakers yeast on top and plop your starter culture on top of it. The worms will multiply and start to climb up the side of the container. Just wipe your finger on the side of the container and dunk it in the water. The fish now have food which lives about 48 hours under water. It should have a yeasty smell to the culture. When it starts to smell funky, you just scoop out a soup ladle of the culture start it all over with your material and yeast and plop the ladle full of worms on top of the yeast and the culture is restarted. I always keep 2 cultures going a week apart so there's always plenty of worms available. Make sure the lid is vented on your containers. Poke small holes or a couple big ones. If you use bigger holes place some filter floss in the hole to keep flies out. The last thing you want is maggots in you culture. Disgusting!!

what i do is take a few potatoes and bury them about 4 inches out in the yard. dig them up in a week or so and rince the worms off them and into the oatmeal yeast mixture, and shazam!!!!! micro worms

Thanks guys this really helped! One last question. Do I have to switch to another live food at some point or can I feed microworms until I wean them onto freeze dried and pellets?

The only part of the culture in the tank is the worms you put in there for feeding. The rest of the culture is in its own container

yes, i understand that. i guess what i meant is how do you get the worms out of the container when most of the time they just burrow underneath the nutrient/filling?

i have heard you can use your finger or a spatula to scoop out the worms that are crawling on the edge of the container. but the number of worms on the edge of the container is just too small to feed a well stocked tanked of good size. UNLESS there's a way to harvest the ENTIRE worm population within the container:popcorn: i'm looking for a "renewable" food source that can be easily harvested every other day to feed my fish minions(i can easily do 10 containers of microworms if that happens to be the case).

You scoop then from the side of the container. Some people will put filter floss on top of the culture and then you just swish it in the water to get the worms in the tank. Either way works. If you dab your finger on top of the culture without pushing down too far you get a nice supply of worms too.

Back
Top Bottom