Mixing food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone. I have a question about feeding my fw fish. I feed small portions 3x daily with a variety of flake food and around 2-3x per week with vitamin soaked frozen food. With the flake food I alternate cans each feeding. I understand that using more than 1 kind of food is nutritionally beneficial. Would it be better for the fish if I mixed all the different kinds of food together or keep feeding each kind separately?

The flake foods I have are: Tetra Color tropical flakes, Ocean Nutrition community formula, a lfs community mix, and Spirulina flakes.

I also alternate with my Malawian Cichlids between Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Veggie flakes and the Spirulina flakes (with frozen 2-3x per week) so I guess I’m asking again if it would be beneficial to mix these together.

Note- the main ingredient in the Spirulina flakes is fish meal followed then by Spirulina.

I appreciate any comments and thanks in advance.
Mike

The fish will not care if you mix the food. Sounds like you feed a nice, mixed diet to your fish. You may want to add frozen food and fresh veggies.

I second the frozen food and veggies. I feed flake in the morning, and frozen in the evening. I also feed zucchini for the shrimp and snails 1-2x a week.

My advice would be to keep them seperate, just because fish like variety in their diet, and that will let them have something one day, and something different another day.

I don't think there will be a benefit to mixing them together. Keeping them separate will ensure that all fish get a good mix of foods. Mixing them and the fish may end up eating one specific type more often, though that probably won't hurt much either.

I agree, keep them seperate. I have so many different types of fish food it's ridiculous. I don't keep any schedule or anything, I just grab what "looks good" each time. I feed a variety of flakes, wafers, micro wafers, pellets, frozen, and blanched veggies.

shame... i only feed my fishy once aday, i used to have big problem of overfeeding, so here i am, once a day.....

and yes i do feed my fish with mix food too, flakes with some sinking shrimp pellets

about the vege, are u kidding? u can feed them vege like apples?

thanks for all the reply's
My conclusion is- if I mixed the food some fish might only pick one certain food out and only eat that kind (I think already stated). So I’ll just keep alternating.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom